Here goes nothing

"Alright...here goes nothing."

With bated breath, the basketball team captain and the Student Council president clicked on the link for the PDF file that read 'List of successful applicants for academic year 2021/2022" at the same time on separate laptops.

Searching for their entrance examinations student identification numbers in the chronologically-arranged list, the young couple kept their eyes trained on the screen.

"820925...820925..." Hyun Bin muttered under his breath, scanning the list for his registration number.

Wait a minute.

For all the nervousness he had felt for the last three days, it was surprisingly anti-climactic when number 820925 simply appeared in front of him on the screen after a few seconds of scrolling.

Wait. This is too good to be true.

Check again.

Holding his entrance examination pass against the screen, the basketball team captain did a thorough second check, matching number for number.

820925.

Hyun Bin discreetly pinched himself.

Okay, that hurt.

No mistake about it. He did it.

He really made it into Yonsei University.

"Yejin...I made it. I got into Yonsei." Looking up from his laptop, lips parted, eyes widened almost comically, Hyun Bin was unable to mask his elation until he noticed something very, very wrong with his girlfriend.

Chewing on her lower lip, Yejin lowered her head and stared silently at her lap.

"Yejin...?" The first hints of dread gnawed at the basketball player, as he shifted in his seat in hopes of catching a glimpse of the council president's face. "Yejin, what's wrong?"

Instead of a verbal reply, all he got from her was a rigid expression and slumped shoulders.

His brain stuttered for a moment, fighting to make a connection with reality.

"Yejin...?"

Shaking her head, the Students Council president covered her face with a palm.

"No way..." Stomach heaving, the words left Hyun Bin's lips in a feeble croak, before he shook his head, sitting up straighter to take one of her hands in his.

One of Yejin's favorite quotes from her favorite TV drama was one that went, "Sometimes, the wrong train takes you to the right destination".

But now, he found himself unexpectedly on a platform, train approaching, yet realising that this time the destination might not be a choice.

"Is there some sort of mistake? Did you look carefully enough?" He asked in a hushed, concerned tone, trying hard to keep the shock and disappointment from his voice as he struggled to ignore the endless plummet of his heart.