Sacrifices

"Have you included the bank loan application form? I almost forgot that one." Hyun Bin asked as he took the stack of papers from his girlfriend's hand, checking through for what seemed like the tenth time.

"I think so. It should be the fifth one, between the Personal Statement and the school report."

Exhaling nervously, the basketball team captain went through the forms for one more time, before handing the entire stack back to Yejin.

"Okay, I think that looks good to go."

Cautiously slotting the filled application forms for Yonsei University into a large brown envelope, Yejin nodded with determination and nervousness.

"Here goes nothing." The Student Council president mumbled, sealing the envelope.

Hyun Bin nodded in agreement, clutching his envelope tighter. "Now what's left to do is to study even harder and hopefully, score well enough for this."

"Is it really okay, Bin?"

"What?"

"Yonsei." Yejin went straight to the point, knowing that her boyfriend had all along considered another school because of his co-curricular activity. "You were keen on Korea University, weren't you? This isn't a decision to take lightly, you know?"

He had mentioned Korea University back in their second year at Spackman High, especially since a very respected senior of his, another basketballer by the name of Kang Kun-taek, had enrolled in Korea University two years earlier.

Being very attached to his alumni, Kun-taek had frequently returned to Spackman High to help coach his juniors, and had even volunteered to perform managerial duties for the team.

It came as no wonder that Hyun Bin had aspired to join Korea University's basketball team, apart from being keen on their engineering programs.

Unexpectedly, Yejin had expressed interest in Yonsei University, based on how their courses and curriculum suited her better. That had made things rather awkward for the young couple.

"What if we enter different universities?" He had asked, well aware of Yonsei University and Korea University's intense rivalry.

"Well...they are both very good schools. Besides, the two schools are located just thirty minutes apart." She mumbled, unable to keep the sadness out of her eyes. "It would still be easy to meet."

It had literally hurt her to say those words to him; they'd have been childhood friends since forever.

It was daunting enough going to college, but going to college without Hyun Bin by her side? That was unimaginable.

"But it's not the same. It won't be the same." The basketball team captain quietly added. "So it's Yonsei for me. Only Yonsei, and nothing else."