Ch 13: Phone Call

Chapter Thirteen

Toby and I ran out of the hotel room, leaving Mrs. Turner behind. "Mom! KEEP UP THE ROOM FOR US OKAY! WE'LL BE BACK!" Toby's hand squeezed mine and luckily he changed me into some normal clothes. *Do You Like My Sword....* I instantly answered my phone.

"He.. Hello?" Running down to the lobby with heelys with the wheels out is not helpful, and I'm not that athletic.

"Hello. This must be Lynne." It was a man's voice, and how did he know my number. I looked at the dial. Mari's phone. Oh God..

"Yes. Wha... What did you.. you do.. to.. my... friend." I was gasping for air. Thank god we reached the car. Toby almost shoved me into the passenger seat and slammed the door. It was pouring rain, somewhat rare for Florida. He practically jumped over the hood and got into the driver's seat. 

"Oh, you must be out of breath. Let me explain. Mari is perfectly fine. Gabe, on the other hand...."

"LYNNE! WHAT IS THAT BASTARD SAYING?!" Toby never got THIS mad. 

"He.. He's saying that Mari is fine, but Gabe... something happened to him." I turned back to the phone.

"Whatever you did to Gabe will be paid for."

"He's just tied up. You have 18 hours."

*BING!*

"He.. He hung up."

"Well, Mari better not be hurt, or else this is not going to end up well." Toby was speeding, more that 70 miles per hour. The rain was really pouring now, and he was trying to get to the airport.  We ran into the airport about one hour later when I muttered, "17 Hours.." 

"What?" Toby asked me, speed walking to the ticket booth. 

"He said we have 18 hours, but he never told me why." Toby's face filled with horror and he heelyed to the counter, me heelying slash tripping after him.

"Hello sir." The helpful lady named Tessy said. 

"Excuse mam, but we need a plane ticket RIGHT now."

"Well sir, the next plane ticket to.. where are you going?"

"LOS ANGELES! WE NEED TO GET THERE NOW!"

"Okay sir, calm down. The next flight is at 10:30 PM. Which is in about 30 minutes."

Toby bought the tickets and grasped my hand, both of us like the frikin flash couple running to port 23A. Toby stopped in front of it, seeing we had to hold our patience for 20 minutes. "Lynne, I'm so sorry." His forehead connected with mine, his right hand stroking my hair, left hand holding mine. 

"We'll get there in time Toby."

"What if this is a trap? What if it's that ass, who shot you?"

"Don't be paranoid Toby. He doesn't know where you live."

Toby's eyes watered, unshed tears gathering up. I went on my tippy toes and he closed his eyes. I kissed his eyelids, salty tears on my lips. I was the one soothing now. I wrapped my hand around his waist. 

"Come on Toby, let's go sit. We still have 15 minutes." My eyes were watering, but I couldn't cry in front of him, not when he's like this. I sat him down on the 2 person seater and curled up on his hip.

"I'm so sorry Lynne Elizabethe Prescott." Toby's hazel eyes looked into mine, sad and sorrowful, yet full of determination. 

"Toby Joe Turner, it's not your fault." He looked into my eyes, and I was for sure that he saw into my soul. His arms wrapped around me, and he whispered in my ear...