Ch 15: Proper Engagement

Toby and I ran out into the setting sun, hands clasped tightly together. We jumped into his car and sped out of the parking lot.

"By the way Lynne, your cousin makes me feel totally awkward."

"Toby, you know now how I feel around your mom." Toby busted up laughing, his perfect teeth flashing.

"Let's hope I don't make her mad, she'll pull that pistol on me!"

I just looked at him, questioning his sanity. He looked at me, questioning mine. I looked at the speedometer, 65 MPH.

"Toby! Your speeding! Slow your roll eskimo!" Toby looked at got that "oh sh+t" look people get when they don't know what their doing. He slammed on his breaks and slowed down to a nice 45 MPH.

"Better?" He looked at me and smiled and I just looked down, flaunting my eyelashes.

"Oh don't you tempt me to pull this car over and throw us two in the back seat." My mouth widened into an O and he busted up laughing.

*Do you like my sword sword..*

"Hello?"

"Hey Lynne. You almost here?" Aaron's voice sounded a bit off.

"Yeah. Probably in about 10 minutes. Why?"

"I just need you here. Now. It's not safe."

"Wait, who's not saf.."

*ding*

"Well that was just rude." Toby looked at me with a questioning eyebrow up.

"Aaron called me then she hung up!" He just stared at me and then turned his head.

"Your cousin is strange and weird, yet pretty awesome."

"Woah Toby, don't go all calm on me now."

"There's something I want to tell you, but I'll tell you later."

"What Tobs?"

"I'm waiting for the proper moment." I just looked at him.

"Okay Toby, fine."

Toby's POV:

Why did I just say that? I mentally face palmed myself and turned off the drive to Rosecrans. Melrose was the street Lynne used to live on, so it was easy to find. Do I really want to propose now? During all this? No. The logical answer was no. But my heart said to go for it. This time I stuck with my logic and stopped feeling the little box in my shorts pocket.

We stopped in front of the house. Lynne looked at me, and I could see the nervousness in her eyes.

"Lynne, we'll be safe. I promise."

Lynne's POV:

Toby looked into my eyes.

"Lynne, we'll be safe. I promise."

I knew I should believe him, but I knew we wouldn't be safe. I needed to talk to Aaron. I got out of the car and shut the door. The house had a quietness to it that I didn't like. Aaron's black jeep sat in the driveway, while Toby's car sat on the street.

Aaron ran out the door to embrace me. I embraced her back, thinking this was odd behavior for her.

"Lynne, did you receive a note at the Grove?" I looked at her.

"Uh.. Yeah I did."

Aaron's eyes widened.

"Where is the note?" I pulled the note of the jeans and she ran inside. Toby was heelying, hands in pockets. I looked at him, a warning look. He looked at me and slowed to a stop in front of me.