Chosen - Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

I wrung a towel out and wiped Cassius's damp forehead, trying my best not to wake him. Even though I doubted he could wake if he wanted. His breath was shallow and labored with each sharp intake. Placing my ear to his chest, I listened, terrible wheezing was all I heard back. I worried for my king. His muscles spasmed every few moments as he fought the poison that coursed through his veins. At the same time, I fought back tears. I knew better than to fall for him. I should not care so much.

I threw myself over his body, sobbing. I couldn't bear to see him in such agony. The turmoil that attacked my soul was nearly unbearable. The Guild law was clear. I could not love another. Especially my king. I didn't care. I clutched his nightshirt in one hand and the damp towel in the other while falling asleep, waiting for him to wake from his painful slumber.

I awoke sometime later to hands playing in the mess of curls that no longer resembled any sort of fashionable or proper up do a lady should have atop her head. Blinking to consciousness, I looked up to the somewhat smiling face of my king. Albeit, he was still pallor than I preferred, he was alive. Sighing softly, I smiled up at him and closed my eyes as he continued twisting curls around his fingers.

"You stayed with me."

A smile spread across my face. My heart leaped with joy. "Of course, your majesty."

"Why?" His voice held a sense of seriousness that I had never heard from him before.

I peeked up from a heavily, hooded eye. "I was unsure if you would survive the night. I trusted no one to care for you. I had to be sure you would be okay, so I stayed at your side."

He nodded and lay back on the goose down pillows. Propping myself up on an elbow, I watched him. The sweat that beaded his brow the previous night was gone. The spasms that gripped his body were gone. He seemed to be returning to normal.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

I shook my head. "Nothing. Just happy that you're okay."

"Of course, I'm okay. I'm the king."

"Do you know how close you came to dying?"

"I drank too much wine last night and passed out."

"No, someone sent an assassin after you. I killed her and have been here making sure you didn't die, Cassius."

He furrowed his brow and pursed his lips together. "I did fall asleep awfully fast."

"You were shot with a poisoned dart with some sort of sleeping potion on its tip."

"Someone attacked me in my own castle?"

I nodded my head. It was brazen of someone to hire an assassin to attack Cassius in his castle. The assassin didn't know about me though. This meant I could cut a few people out as suspects.

"It's nobody in your privy chamber or inner guards."

"And you know this?"

"The assassin knew nothing of me."

"Interesting."

"Who would be able to get an assassin into the castle without much notice?" I asked.

He shook his head, his brows drawing together. "I'm unsure. Royals could. Domestic staff."

I sat up, leaning over Cassius, and gazed into his pale eyes I missed his brightness. I hated how sick he was. I missed the iciness that normally stared back at me. I reached toward him, cupping each side of his face in my warm hands. His cheeks still felt clammy in my grasp. He leaned into my touch, the corners of his mouth turning up. I closed my eyes and gently brushed my lips against his. My heart thrummed against my chest. It was such an exhilarating feeling.