Chosen - Chapter Two

• Dedicated to Gregory Wampler

Chapter Two

The pounding on my doors awoke me shortly after I closed my eyes. It felt like but a few moments. I sat up and looked out the window, the sky still dark.

"What?" I called out.

"It's time," a voice called from the other side.

Stretching my arms out, I yawned while staring out the window. "For what?"

"Training, Joselyn."

That voice. It's Jonathan.

"Alright, I'll be there shortly."

The morning training went by relatively fast. My mind wasn't there for most of it, but I managed to get through without another gash. Once we were released from our time, I hurried back to Claude's chambers. I needed away from all things assassin related for just a bit. The relief that washed over me seeing everyone just sitting around was overwhelming.

The cool steel that was strapped to my inner thigh pressed into my flesh as I sat in a chair opposite Queen Claude. The room was silent except for the crackling of the fire behind us. The queen's other ladies-in-waiting focused intently on their needlepoint. I'd been holding mine without doing much to it. I stared at the white cloth, lost in thought.

"Lady Joselyn?" the queen asked.

"Yes, milady?"

"Are you quite alright?"

"Yes, of course."

"You haven't touched your work."

"Oh." I knew I hadn't. I stared down at the circle in my lap. "I'm contemplating what I wish to stitch."

She nodded and looked back at her own work. I sighed heavily and tried to focus on the task at hand. At least until a loud bang came from the doors that led to the queen's chambers.

"Oh, for heaven's sake," she muttered.

"Majesty?" I questioned.

"Don't worry, Joselyn." She straightened her skirts and let the needlework fall into her lap. "Enter."

One of the king's guards entered holding a letter. He bowed to the queen, handed her the paper in silence, and exited the room. Queen Claude looked at the wax seal and looked up at me with raised eyebrows.

Cassius.

She read it quickly and stood. "Ladies, excuse me please."

She turned to leave, motioning for me to follow. I smiled at the others and quickly stood. Once we were inside her inner chambers, Claude closed her doors and leaned her forehead against them.

"What's wrong?" I questioned, rushing to the woman.

"Your king."

I shook my head. "Francis?"

"No. Your king."

My heart sunk. My assignment was to start.

"Already? Are you sure?"

She nodded her head solemnly. "I knew the day was coming, child. I didn't think it would be so fast."

"Why did he not make mention of this yesterday?"

"I suspect he spoke with Francis and they failed to mention to us."

I pursed my lips and held my hand out for the letter. Taking a deep breath, I scanned the parchment.

Joselyn,

There is much ado about the kingdom. Word has been getting back to me that there are many nefarious plots in the making. I understand that your assignment is to become my protector when the time is ready. I will be traveling to Calais shortly. It is my deepest wish that we may have a moment together there; a moment longer than what we had yesterday.