Chosen - Chapter Six

Chapter Six

"Thank you for the dance, Lady Joselyn." The king bowed low to me as the music stopped.

I dipped into a curtsy. "The pleasure was all mine, your majesty."

He stood, turned, and was gone. I stood in the middle of the room with everyone still staring. My cheeks burned yet again as I imagined the crimson color it had turned. I'd been embarrassed one too many times for my liking. My gaze darted around desperately searching for someone I knew; someone who could distract me while also keeping my eye on the king.

I sighed with relief at the sight of Anne Howard. I scurried to my friend, and distant cousin, as the others around me went back to their conversations. Occasionally I would catch a woman glancing in my direction, or a few men in a corner would laugh loudly while their eyes trained on me.

"That is quite the way to come back to court, Joselyn," she mumbled, not looking directly at me.

I nervously bit my lip and looked about for my mother or father. "It most certainly was not my idea."

"You sure do have the king's attention already." Anne smiled and nodded her head in the direction of a well-dressed young man on the other side of the room.

"He was simply being polite. My father is one of the most powerful men in the country. He would be wise to keep him happy."

"Perhaps. Or he may have ulterior motives. Everyone here has been abuzz about when the still very eligible daughter of the Duke of Suffolk would return to court and be accepted by the still very single king."

"Why is everyone so stuck on that? I mean, you're single."

She held up her left hand which showed off a very lovely opal. "Married."

"Since when? And to whom?" I gasped, staring at the ring.

"Three months before you returned. And the lord privy purses son, Lord Henry Howard."

"Henry Howard? That scrawny redhead that used to talk to the sheep?"

She sighed heavily and resisted laughing. "That is him. He's grown up a bit. That's him, nearest the tall, brunette woman."

"That strapping redhead is most certainly not Henry Howard!"

She nodded, looking rather forlorn. "Aye, it is."

"He has strayed?" I asked, watching as the woman touched his arm lightly.

"Don't they all?"

"You don't have to tolerate that behavior."

"Why not? I get what I want and he will leave me alone."

"How have you been otherwise?" I asked.

"I have been well. It has been terribly dull; though with you back it should prove to be more entertaining." A sly smile crossed her perfectly pink lips and she winked a beautiful emerald eye at me.

"No way, Anne. I am keeping as low a profile as I possibly can." I shook my head, refusing to even entertain the thought.

"But Lady Joselyn you are the shiny new toy that has come back for the lords to play with."

"I sincerely hope not."

"You've been back for about six months, correct?" she asked.

I pursed my lips together in a thin line as the king entered the room again. I could feel my heart speed up and my stomach leaped to my throat. "Um, only a few months ago."

"Are you happy being back?"

"Yes, of course." I graciously accepted a goblet of wine from a steward who passed by.