Chosen - chapter seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

I sneaked back through the passage toward my own chambers. I had packing to do. Creeping through the passage door, I was startled by clicking heels on the stone around the corner. Walking away quickly, I hoped they wouldn't see me before I could get back inside.

"Joselyn?" Too late.

I turned and curtsied low to Princess Mary. "My lady?"

"Where are you coming from?" she asked.

"I was strolling about the courtyard for some fresh air before having breakfast."

"I didn't see you a short while ago when I walked through." She crossed her arms in front of her chest and cocked her head to the side.

My heart thumped hard against my rib cage, I could hear it in my ears. "Oh. Well, I suppose we missed each other when I was coming outside. I haven't been here for long. In fact, I was heading inside to eat now."

"Are the rumors that my brother is taking you along with him to visit the Duke de le Mare true?"

"Yes. He has asked me to join him on the journey as well as my father and I believe hundreds of others." I chewed the inside of my lip, thinking of a way to slowly inch my way away from the princess.

"I see." She turned on her heels and strode away. Her hair flowed behind her as she waved for her servants and guards to follow.

I breathed heavily trying to slow my heart.

"Lady?" a voice called from beside me.

"We need to pack, Angeline." I closed my eyes slowly and took a few deep breaths. Time away from the Princess Mary and Mother would be a much-needed reprise.

"When do we leave?"

"Cassius said the morning"

"Will I be packing everything?" she inquired.

I crossed into the room and looked at my unsuspecting trunk in the corner. "Not everything. The essentials. I don't want to draw too much attention to myself. Besides, it should be fast and simple."

"Of course, Lady."

I lay on the bed as Angeline went about arranging our belongings for the trip.

"I need your advice," I said, clasping my hands under my chin.

"Anything for you, my lady."

"How long have we known each other?"

"Quite some time. I believe twelve years." She dug through a large chest of drawers, pulling out gowns and sadly shaking her head. "I believe it is time to have new gowns made, Lady Joselyn."

"Why? I like my gowns."

She twisted up her nose and frowned at the pink gown in her hand. "Uh, you need something more updated."

I shook my head at her, pulling the piece of jewelry out that Cassius had given me.

"I trust you more than anyone else."

"Of course. Are you quite all right?"

"Angeline? Do you think I'm making a mistake?"

She paused in her packing and looked up at me from one of the trunks. She bit her bottom lip and furrowed her brows. "I think you are allowing your emotions to control your actions. Which as you know, can be dangerous if not life-threatening for you and your king."

She was right.

I nodded my head and rolled onto my back. "I've known Cassius for a very long time."