Chosen - chapter twenty-seven

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Awaking from my second sleep, my body only throbbed slightly. The stabbing pain had dissipated, and I no longer felt like I was going to burst into flames rivaling those of the fireplace.

Did the bloodletting work? I still hate it.

I sat up, being careful with my injured arm and shoulder. Sitting on a small table next to me was a tray of cheese, dried meat, and crackers along with a tall pitcher of water. Cassius was prepared in case I woke up. The shades were drawn, and things were quiet in the room. Cassius snored peacefully beside me. I swung my legs over the side of the bed and stood shakily. I stumbled to the window and peaked outside. Darkness of night covered the land. I had no idea how long I'd been asleep or how long Cassius remained at my side. Hungrily, I grabbed the food on the tray. I had never been so hungry or thirsty.

I lay back down and curled up against his warm body. He stirred and looked at me through heavily hooded eyes.

"You're awake again."

"Yes. How long have I been asleep?" I asked.

"Three days. I worried about you."

"Three days?"

"Yes. How are you feeling?" he queried.

"I'm okay. Hungry. I ate the cheese and crackers left next to me."

"Good. I hoped you would when you woke up. Do you want more?"

"No thanks, Cassius. I just want to lay here with you."

He smiled and wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer to him. Everything felt so right in that moment. I always felt right in his arms. I rested quietly as he fell back to sleep.

How long did he remain awake waiting for me to come out of my slumber?

I felt a mixture of guilt for allowing myself to be so vulnerable to the one I was supposed to be protecting and adoration at the fact he wouldn't leave me during this trying time.

"Madame?" Angeline called softly from the doorway.

"Yes?" I replied.

"You're awake!" she exclaimed, her eyes lighting up when I sat up to look at her.

"I am. Still weak, but I'm awake."

"I worried you would never wake," she said, crossing the room to my side of the bed.

"Nothing can keep me down. You know that."

She nodded her head, tears glistening in her eyes in the firelight.

"Angeline? What happened to Mary?"

"She's being held in the tower. From what the guards are saying she's beside herself with grief and continues to scream about not being the only one who is guilty."

"At least she's admitted to her crimes. Do you think she's telling the truth?"

"I'm unsure, Joselyn. If she didn't act alone we need to find out who else plotted with her."

"That will have to wait. We are going to be heading to Constantinople as soon as I'm able to travel. We need to find Belle. It's been entirely too long. This injury set us back a great deal."

"Of course, ma'am."

She turned and retreated from the room, leaving Cassius and I lying in bed.

"I don't believe a word my sister says," Cassius mumbled, his eyes still shut tight.

"You're awake now?"

"For now."

"Why don't you believe her?" I asked.

"She's a desperate woman trying to save or at least extend her life. I believe she would do anything and say anything to throw us off her scent and search for someone else."

"You think so?" I pondered.

"I do."

"I don't know. She already knows she's guilty and it's a matter of waiting for your orders, why try to blame someone else? It doesn't make sense."

"I'm not going to delay her sentencing."

"That's all right, Cassius. I can investigate once we return from our next voyage," I said, placing my head on his firm and warm chest.

"Yes. How are you feeling?"

"I'm still weak. I think a few more days and I should be okay for travel."

"I'll be sure to arrange everything to be luxurious, so you can rest on the way there," he said, kissing my forehead.

"Thank you, my lord."

"I would do anything to ensure your safety, Joselyn. I'd do anything for the woman I love."

I gazed up into his eyes. There was so much love and adoration. Tangling my fingers in the muss of hair that hung in his eyes, I pulled Cassius's head down to meet mine. His breath was slow and steady, smelling of a sweet whiskey. The same whiskey I drank earlier. Pressing my lips to his, I got lost in him. His kisses were intoxicating. I couldn't think of anything and did not want to do anything. I wanted to stay as we were.

"Can we remain here for the rest of the day?" I asked.

"We can stay here for as long as you need to recover."

"It's the most perfect place to be."

"Your mother came looking for you again."

"And then the perfect moment is gone. Why did you have to bring her into it?" I asked.

He sighed heavily and closed his eyes. "She's a relentless monster."

"I know. If we are to be together, you will have to tolerate her as I do."

Cassius furrowed his brow and looked down at me. "Not necessarily. I am the king. I could just banish her to some awful land."

I laughed lightly and hugged him tight. "As much as I would love that, she is still a noble and some people, for who knows what reason, enjoy her company. They may wonder why she's banished."

"It doesn't matter what they wonder or want, I'm the king."

"This is true, my love."

"Let's forget her for now. As I said, she's not allowed near you for another week."

"How do you think she will take the news of our next trip?" I asked.

He shrugged his shoulders. "I'm not too worried with how your mother feels about things."

"At least one of us isn't. She invades my life."

"That will stop when you're my queen."

I smiled. The thought of being his forever would be a fantastic thing, but we still had the Guild to deal with. I had not come up with anyway to deter them from killing me and assigning a new assassin to Cassius. I knew he didn't take their threat seriously, and I wish he would. They did not have to abide by his rules or the rules of the kingdom. The Guild was subjects of no king or country. They were their own entity. Nobody even knew where they kept a permanent residence.

"Let's not think of such awful things anymore. I want to enjoy the time I have left keeping you to myself."

"I agree." He pressed his lips to mine again.

His tongue pried my mouth open and invaded as if it wanted to conquer a foreign country. I did not bother to stop him.

I stayed in his arms for the rest of the evening. We gazed into each other's eyes until the sun peeked through the curtains.

Things were perfect. For the time being.