Chosen - chapter thirty-four

Chapter Thirty-Four

I never took my eyes from Angeline or the men before her. My heart thumped so loud in my chest I was terrified everyone would hear it. Angeline approached the man who appeared to be the leader. He sat on a magnificent black steed. Obviously, he did not purchase it legally.

"Before you kill anyone else, sir, would you care for the company of a woman?" She ran her hand along the horse's neck, stopping near the man's knee.

"We're not here to deal with wenches. We want the money and whatever other goods we can find."

"Of course, but why not indulge in a little pleasure prior to the pillaging?"

The man sat back in the saddle staring at Angeline. He contemplated what she proposed. Could it really work?

He motioned for one of the other men to join him at the head of the group. The whispered back and forth for a few seconds before the leader nodded his head.

"I'll take up your offer, whore."

"Please, call me Elizabeth," Angeline said.

The man nodded again and dismounted his horse. "I am Charles."

"Charles. Let us find someplace a little more private." She grabbed his hand and led him to the far-left side of the soldiers who stood ready to protect the king.

Robert and I continued forward, remaining behind the front row of soldiers.

"There are only five left," Robert whispered.

"I'll take the three on the end, you take the two-up front."

"Aye."

"Soldier, do not look about or appear in any way out of sorts. There is a plot against these men and I need additional weapons. I am going to remove your dagger and sword from their sheaths," I said.

The man did not turn his head or utter a word. He remained perfectly still as I removed the blades from their resting spots.

"We shall go to the carriage," the leader said to Angeline, only a few rows behind us.

I turned slightly on my tiptoes as I was crouched beside the soldiers and watched as Charles yanked open the door and pulled Cassius out. He stood there for a long moment with his large hand around Cassius's throat. He squeezed slightly, Cassius gasped for air and sunk to his knees.

Angeline reached out and grasped Charles' wrist. "Please, continue this after we finish."

He glanced at her briefly and released his grip on Cassius. Angeline held his hand and took him inside the carriage. Cassius scurried up and away from the swaying box before him.

She's not actually doing what I think she is...is she?

Dragging my eyes off the scene before us, I took the opportunity of all the rest of the men being distracted and darted to a tree nearby. I remained behind the tree for a few moments to ensure nobody saw me. Once satisfied I was unseen, I moved along the tree line until I was safely behind the robbers. Stepping out I took the soldiers dagger and threw it as I hard as I could at the closest man to me. It stuck in his back with a sickening thud and he slumped over his horse. The man next to him noticed and reeled around to face me.

"A trap! It's a trap!" he shouted, pulling out his sword.

With the attention on me, Robert had the chance to leap forward, catching the man nearest him in the side of the neck. Blood spurted from the wound as he retracted the dagger. The crimson liquid covered Robert's arm and face.