Chosen - chapter forty-five

Chapter Forty-Five

I paced my room, trying to decide what to do. It was entirely too easy to convince Suleiman to let Belle go. Nobody that powerful, who can ignore a broken hand, would cave so easily. Especially not to a woman. I threw open my trunk and dug to the bottom. I pulled out a few more blades, my black boots, and the black assassin garb.

"You don't trust him?"

I shook my head and removed the caftan. "Not at all."

"What do you plan doing?" she asked.

"I'm not sure yet." I pulled the mask over my mouth and climbed onto the ledge of the window.

The room I'd seen Belle in was down a floor and over six rooms. Fortunately, there were plenty of things for me to climb on. I slid down a column, landing silently on a ledge next to it. I crept along the windowsills, peeking in each one as I went. The first few were dark. The palace much more ominous when it was dark and empty. The fourth had a large number of women in it. They laid on settees, couches, and beds. None of them wore veils, lucky for me. I scanned the group of women but didn't see the one I was looking for. I continued along to the fifth widow. I slipped inside and to the door. Outside the hall was lit by torches, nobody seemed to be patrolling. Keeping my back against the wall, I continued to the door at the end of the hall. Pressing my head to the door, I listened for any sound that may be within. A small, muffled voice came through.

It's her!

I knelt down and closed one eye while peering through the keyhole. My line of sight was limited but I could see Belle sitting on a plush window seat, pacing the room was Suleiman and his horrible wife. Well one of them, the meanest.

I knew! The liar.

I pulled a dagger from my boot and slowly pressed down on the door handle. A small click and I pushed it open slightly.

Mahidevran spun on his satin skippered toes to glare at me. "How dare you!"

I said nothing. I leaped across the room and stood between them and Belle. I waved my dagger back and forth while tusking them.

Belle turned her big, teary eyes up to me. "They're going to kill me!"

"Guards!" Suleiman hollered.

I grabbed Belle's hand and led her through the window. She yelped and clung to the sill and stone behind her.

"Who are you and how do you expect us to get anywhere? We're so far from the ground!"

"Calm down," I said, looking for an easy way down for her.

"Joselyn?" she asked.

I pulled the mask down momentarily and smiled at her before putting it back. "You didn't think I'd leave you here do you?"

"I've been here for so long I didn't think anyone was coming."

"You have lots of friends. For now, though, I need to get you to our ship and hide you."

"How? The guards will be swarming the area any minute. You do realize who you've confronted don't you?"

"Yes," I replied. "Who do you think broke his hand?"

"Oh, Joselyn!"

"Here, jump into that bush."

"What?" Belle asked.

"Jump for that bush."

She shook her head furiously. "I don't think so."

"I do." I shoved her hard as the sound of shouting came from behind us.