Chosen - Chapter One

Chapter One

One simply must learn to fight whilst wearing a bodice and damask. One must also learn what colors hide blood well.

The training room was never brightly lit, tall candelabra's stood at each corner of the room. During my early years with the Guild they mentioned that each candelabrum stood for a different element of an assassin's mind. My mind was not paying attention and did not retain that rather ridiculous information. The training room was the only room on the entire estate where there were no windows or fireplaces. Yet there always seemed to be a draft coming from somewhere. I knelt opposite Anastasia, sweat rolling down my back, staying where I was struck. Thankfully the many layers of fabric hid the dampness well. Blood ran down my cheek where her dagger sliced into my skin. The stinging faded after a few moments, but my pride was wounded.

"Joselyn, stand up. Try again."

I looked up at the man towering over me. My chest heaved with each breath. Our training felt as though it lasted for hours. My body ached and screamed for rest.

"These are the mistakes that will get you killed. You must be able to fight while also being aware of your surroundings. If someone is trying to kill your king they won't always be alone. Understand?"

I nodded while fetching my own dagger that landed on the other side of the room when I was surprised. Taking a deep breath, I took up my stance across from the older girl I sparred. She smirked and sheathed her dagger.

"Ready?" Anastasia asked.

"Yes. You won't surprise me again."

We sidestepped in a circle, her eyes never left me. Anastasia always had this wild and crazed look about her. For the longest time, I assumed it was part of her role as an assassin. Though now I wondered if that was just her. I took deep breaths trying to focus all of my senses. I watched the girl. Every move she made. The corners of her lips turned up into a coy smile as her fingers played on the hilt of her dagger. She grasped it, slowly pulling it from the sheath. I could feel my heart speeding up. Taking deep breaths, I attempted to steady my breathing. Something scraped on the floor behind me as Anastasia lunged at me. I ducked and rolled to the left as the two bodies that were attacking collided. They landed with a thud and someone dropped their weapon, not me this time. I rolled into a crouching position before lunging forward. I grabbed the person who attacked from behind as they stood and grappled them to the floor. We rolled around in the dirt before I felt a piercing pain in my shoulder. I let out a yelp but didn't let go. I wrapped an arm around their throat and tightened until their body went limp in my arms. After pushing them to the side, I quickly stood and reached to my shoulder. Pulling my hand away, I saw it covered in blood. I spun round looking for Anastasia. She stood across the room, her dagger covered in blood.

"You really are not prepared, Joselyn," she sneered.

I just stared at her. The pain throbbed up my arm. I glanced around the room trying to find the best way to get to her and disarm her. The other attacker began to stir off to my side. There wasn't much time.

"You will never make it as an assassin," she taunted.

She lunged forward, swinging the dagger wildly. The tip managed to catch the sleeve of my shirt, ripping it. I could feel the metal drag across my skin. I spun out of the way of her next swing, which sent her off balance. She tumbled to the floor in a raging ball of screaming fury.

"How dare you!"

I shrugged as she clambered to her feet. Sweat poured down her face as she lost her temper and flailed about. I managed to wrap my arm around her throat, squeezing tightly. She gurgled a bit as she struggled against me. I pulled my dagger from its sheath and held it to the pulsing flesh in her neck.