Chosen - Chapter eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Outside the castle looked like a giant processional. Guards, the king's privy chamber, carriages, and horses were everywhere. Angeline fussed over my hat and dress. She played the role of a proper maid very well. I allowed her to arrange and rearrange the hat as we both listened to the chatter amongst us.

"Did you hear about his wife disappearing?" a valet behind us whispered.

I glanced at Angeline, who kept her eyes trained on the oversized feather in the side of my cap.

"What do you think happened to her?" the man next to him asked.

"Who knows, but how does a duchess disappear, and her husband not do everything to find her?"

My thoughts exactly.

"Is everything ready to go?" Cassius bellowed from the steps.

"Yes, your majesty. Your carriage is ready," the head of his household said, bowing low to the king.

Cassius held out his arm for me to take, leading us to the front carriage. It was elaborately adorned with his crest and beautiful etchings across the doors. The inside seating was covered in red fabric, the curtains were gold and ivory, and the team of horses were the most magnificent black steeds.

"Do you always travel in such opulence?"

Cassius nodded his head and held my hand as I ascended the small stairs. The seats cushioned perfectly. Once the door shut, Angeline and I drew the shades.

"What do you have planned?" he asked.

"I'm still not sure. I have no idea what to expect. I did bring along a few of my favorite weapons in case they would be needed."

"Do you intend on killing the Duke?" Angeline inquired.

I took a deep breath. There was one thing I hated discussing and killing was it. I did what I needed to do. There was no discussion on how it was done or what I planned on doing. I just did it.

"If need be then yes I will kill him."

"That could lead to a lot of problems if anyone suspects anything."

"What are the pretenses that we're going under?" I queried.

"A simple visit. I haven't been to his estates in quite some time or visited my subjects in that region for years. I like to visit those who are noble to ensure their support should I ever need a reason to call upon them."

"Will it affect you if he is gone?"

"Everything affects me, but if he's done something to harm his wife in any way I don't need him around that bad."

As we bumped along the road, I closed my eyes. My body felt so heavy, burdened down with a soul-crushing dilemma. Something I faced every time I had to do my duty.

How many have I killed so far? A dozen? Two dozen? Their faces and names blurred after the first handful.

I remembered the first life I took. It seemed like so long ago, I could hardly believe it was only four short years since the first man. He had attempted to kill the queen of France. Being the only assassin under her care at the time, it was up to me to protect her. I did. He never suspected how lethal a fourteen year could be. He scoffed at me.

Assassins were supposed to be numb to the fact that we ended lives. We watched the life leave the eyes of our victims during training to help numb us. I only watched once. I had ever witnessed the most horrific, mind-numbing thing. I cried for days afterward. A typical response when we have our first kill. It's not in most people's nature to go about killing for others. It helped that we were protecting others. Especially our kings.