Chosen - chapter twenty-two

Chapter Twenty-two

I broke the kiss as much as I didn't want to. Pushing away from Cassius, I turned and ran down the hall. We were getting entirely too close too fast.

"Joselyn!" he called after me.

I didn't stop. He'd be safe for the time being. My mind raced as I entered my chambers, slamming the door behind me.

"Is everything all right?" Angeline asked, emerging from a side room with her arms full of dresses.

"Fine," I mumbled, slipping my slippers off and falling onto the bed. "I just need to rest for a bit."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." I closed my eyes, taking a few deep breaths.

"You don't seem fine, Joselyn."

"Angeline. I am fine. I'm fine. Everything's great."

She tusked and went about her work.

"Cassius will be arranging a trip to Constantinople."

"Very well."

"Who is Jonathan protecting? Why couldn't he tell me anything?" I asked, rolling to look at the woman through sleepy eyes.

"I do not know, Joselyn. He informed me of his sudden departure and asked that I take over his duties for the time being."

"Why didn't he tell me you knew everything?"

"I am nothing more than a backup in case something happens to him. I would only be activated into the Guild's watcher duty should you be left alone," she said, continuing to pack my belongings.

I sighed heavily, unhappy with the answer. "I see."

"The Guild is full of surprises and secrets. That is why you must always be on your guard. You do not know who you can trust."

"Did I make the right decision completing my training? Perhaps I should have feigned being a too delicate lady for this sort of thing. Life would be so much simpler."

"Would that make you happy, Joselyn? Or are you just upset?"

"I'm not sure. I want a normal life. The life a lady is supposed to have, but I also know that as long as I am whom I am he will be safe. I never realized that so many people wished the monarchy dead before going through everything with the Guild. I don't want to see Cassius dead. I do love him, Angeline."

"Of course, you do. The two of you were so close prior to you leaving and he hasn't forgotten you. He treats you better than most kings' treat their assassins. I honestly believe he does not see you as a killer, he still sees you as the beautiful Lady Joselyn."

"This can be dangerous for the both of us. Why do feelings and emotions have to be so complicated?" I asked.

"Our hearts are a complicated thing. You must get them under control."

I rolled onto my side away from Angeline. She was right as always. I must get my feelings under control.

Do I want to though? If Cassius makes me happy and I keep him safe why must I stop? Why must I control my feelings? If I were together with him I would be near his side always. I could protect him better that way.

"Lady Joselyn?" a voice hollered form the other side of the door.

"Yes?" I asked.

"The king is here to see you."

"Let him in then."

I sat up and watched as he blew through the door. "Joselyn."

"Your majesty." I stood and curtsied.

"I need to speak with you. Alone."

I nodded toward Angeline who pursed her lips, glanced between Cassius and I before turning and leaving.

"What can I do for you?" I sat back down on the luxurious bed.

"We will be taking our leave of this place in two days' time."

"Okay. Why didn't you send one of your men to tell me?" I inquired.

"I wanted to see you." He strode across the room, stopping directly in front of me.

"Why?" I whispered.

"You ran from me."

"I needed to clear my mind."

"Clear it of what? I thought you loved me."

"I do. So very much. That's why I had to clear my mind. First and foremost, I am your assassin. I don't want my feelings of love and want to interfere with my duties. I will never forgive myself if something were to happen to you."

He dropped to his knees, taking one of my hands in his, and kissed the top of it. Using his other hand, he ran his fingers along my cheek and down my neck. A shudder ran up my spine at his touch. He traced the brooch I wore on the bodice of my gown. My breath hitched in my throat as his fingers drew closer to my most intimate of parts.

"Submit to me. Agree to be mine forever, Joselyn."

"You already know I want to. The Guild continues to be a problem. I will die if they find out. In addition, there is the small matter of someone trying to kill you. I must find out who that person is and stop them, for good."

"I've told you before that we will deal with The Guild together. I am the king. They must still do as I say."

"No, they don't, Cassius. They are an entity all their own. They take orders from no king or emperor. They simply provide you with someone to protect you. Perhaps I should request a new king to protect."

He dropped my hand. A pained look crossing his beautiful face. His eyes glassed over as he tried to process what I said. "Absolutely not. I will not allow it, Joselyn. You belong here. I'm going to prove to you that we can be together, and The Guild will not kill you."

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath. "You are such an impossibly stubborn man."

"No, I just love you. Will you submit to me?" he asked.

I shook my head. "No. Not yet. My maiden head belongs to my husband. If we marry, then I shall give you all of me. Until then, I can't."

He pressed his lips into a thin line and nodded his head. "I understand. It is very admirable."

Kissing my forehead, he stood and left the room as quickly as he had appeared.

"He can't protect you from them."

"I know, but I can't live fearing them. Can I? What kind of life is that?"

"I suppose not. You will have to be careful. They cannot find out about your love for him."

"Yes, I know. Trust me, Angeline; I do not want to die."

"When do we return to the castle?"

"Two days," I said, sliding my legs under the blankets.

"Are you exited to leave?" she asked.

"Yes, of course. I want away from this place."

"Are you going to let the duke live?"

"For now."

I was anxious to go to Constantinople and search for Belle. Who knows how long she'd been gone. Well I do know who knows. I couldn't risk another visit to him though. The guards were on high alert for any intruders. I watched as Angeline buried my gear beneath mounds of gowns and jewelry.

Even if I wanted to kill him, everything remains packed away. I suppose it's for the best. I don't need any unwanted attention drawn to myself.