Chosen - chapter thirty

Chapter Thirty

The gowns Angeline took upon herself to order arrived the morning we were supposed to leave. The parcels were thick and tied tightly. I carefully unwrapped the first one and saw a gorgeous royal blue gown. A fleur de lis in gold thread on the chest. The oversized sleeves were trimmed in gold fur as was the hem of the gown. The second package has a purple damask gown. The squared-off neckline was trimmed in pearls along with the waistline. Black gemstones were scattered across the bodice. The third had a forest green number. The hem, neckline, and sleeves had an elaborate black decal that popped against the color.

"Stop opening all of those!" Angeline ordered, taking the parcel off me.

"I would like to see what you expect me to wear," I pouted.

"You'll find out when I put it on you." She shook her head and repacked the gowns to pack away in the trunk.

"Most people know what they're wearing."

"Joselyn, I do not care about most people, just you."

"Yes, Angeline."

"Here, put this on for the voyage to the ship." She handed me a burgundy traveling gown. A matching cape was already attached.

"It's so heavy. I would not consider this to be a very comfortable gown."

"Fashion is not comfort, Joselyn. I swear your time with Jonathan has destroyed you to being a woman," she muttered, shaking her head.

"I just prefer the comfort of my assassin garb. I have the freedom to move."

"Bed your pardon, Joselyn, but I don't think that will be very conspicuous."

"No, I suppose not. I removed the sleeping gown and stepped into the skirt of the dress. I hoisted the too heavy fabric to my hips and tied the sides.

"Are you nervous at all?"

"I would be lying if I said no. We don't even know if she is still alive. What if the Turkish prince had sold her to someone else?"

"That is something to prepare for. She may not even be there," Angeline said, closing the trunk lid.

I pulled the bodice on and turned around for her to tighten it. "I don't really want to think about what ifs. I'm going to focus on the fact that she is there."

Angeline sighed heavily and tugged as hard as she could on the ribbon laced through the back of my gown. "What about your own great matter?"

"Which would be what?" I asked.

"The Guild."

"What about them?" I cocked my head to the side and stared at her.

"Your relationship with the king."

"Yes. I suppose that is going to be an issue."

"You're lucky they haven't found out yet. When they do I can promise they will not look kindly on your love or give their permission for you to marry."

"I don't plan on actually asking their permission. I'm going to tell them what I'm going to do and do it."

She arched her brows at me and continued yanking on the ribbon. "How do you plan on achieving that?"

"I'm not sure yet."

"Lady Joselyn?" a voice called from the other side of my door.

"Yes?" I answered.

"The coach is here. King Cassius wanted to know if you are ready to embark on the trip."

"Yes. Please send someone to fetch mine and my lady's belongings please."