Peacemaker

Third POV

"This was my idea, I should be going on this mission," Yuyan muttered as she walked with Sasuke to the gates of the great village of Konoha.

"Well now it's my mission. They didn't allow you to do it," Sasuke responded.

It had been 2 months since the war ended. Everyone celebrated for almost a whole week, but most of our heroes slept for a whole week.

Unfortunately, Itachi and Sasuke Uchiha were held in prison for about a month. Daimyos, the Five Kage, and other village leaders from affected areas had to approve their release before they could walk free again. It was a long, grueling wait for the brothers, but it certainly did help that three war heroes, Naruto, Yuyan, and Ren, and two villge leaders, Hisui and Kakashi, spoke on their behalf. For the next month, they were placed under a light probational period that was lifted three days ago.

Hisen shared his concern with Yuyan and Ren about looming threats left behind from the Ootsutsuki clan that were prevented for now, but would certainly resurface in future generations. Yuyan then told everyone she planned to leave for a long-term mission to search for the origin of these threats, but Kakashi didn't allow her to do it, he apparently had other plans for both the Hane.

Ren and Hisen had set out on an independent mission he had not told anyone, even Yuyan, about. He has not returned, but sent regular updates and said it would only be about a week or two until he came back. Since he wasn't officially affiliated with any village, he didn't had to ask anyone for permission.

"It's not like I'm unfit to get the job done. I could have done it.." she pouted like a child.

Sasuke sighed and stopped, "that isn't what it's about. If it was a question of skill you would have been chosen, but it has to do with much more than that. After all, you're the one who said you wanted a break from the battle."

"I've had a break for two months."

"That's hardly anything considering all the time you spent away from here and all the time you spent training."

Yuyan sighed now, "guess I do need to relax a little."

"You're catching on," Sasuke pat her head, she rolled her eyes.

"Do you...really have to go so soon though?" her face now reddened.

Sasuke gave her a sly smile, "What? You gonna miss me or something?"

"Oh, piss off," she punched his shoulder, he tried hard not to make it seem like it actually hurt.

He laughed shortly but genuinely, Yuyan was very elated to see and hear. While she was trapped in her thoughts about how beautiful his small smile was, she didn't notice he had reached out to hold her face in his hand.

"You've changed a lot, Yuyan," she admired her bright eyes as he pushed her hair behind her ear.

She was dumbfounded at the look he was giving her. In all the years she had known him, Yuyan never saw his eyes this way. It wasn't love this time, although there was a hint of it. All there in his eyes was admiration and appreciation, like he was trying to convey how thankful he was for everything she had done for him. He didn't say she had changed in a bad way, it was with respect, something Sasuke didn't hand out easily.

"Your spirit," Yuyan placed her hand on his heart, "your spirit has grown."

Sasuke wasn't expecting that sort of compliment, his eyes expressed the surprise and slight confusion, but it made him happy nonetheless to be receiving those words from one of the wisest people he knew.