A Loyal Friend

Sasuke's POV

My eyes ached and burned, but I felt an overwhelming power with Itachi's eyes. However, I also felt an overwhelming weight on my heart after battling with my team.

Upon my return I told Madara to implant Itachi's eyes for the power to destroy Konoha, but it was basically a lie, I'm not looking to destroy it since I defeated Danzo. I don't really know what my objective is right now though.

My plan was to somehow gather intel for the war, but Madara doesn't mention a single thing about the war, and I get the feeling he is already on to me since he had been questioning me constantly. He was too cautious, but I would still turn this war around somehow.

Not being able to see for the past couple of days has given me so much time to think. As someone who takes pride in their eyes, being blinded traps you inside yourself, in a whole different world, gives you a new perspective, and I had time to reflect on both my hatred and hope.

You're so full of shit! I heard Yuyan's hurtful words in my head. That's all I had been thinking about the past few days.

I sighed, "I know I am."

Life had thrown me in all kinds of directions. Things were great when I was a kid, I had friends and family, there was nothing more a shinobi could ask for.

There was a deep tug in my chest that made me think I did still have friends who were my family. Back then, we completed missions together, fought together, and struggled together. Our team wasn't perfect, we were a little dysfunctional, Yuyan and Sakura usually had to stop the fighting between Naruto and me.

Those...those were good times.

I am the reason things went wrong, and I know that for sure. There was a war in my head. One side telling me to destroy Konoha because of all the things the village had done to my brother, and the other side was the memories with my team, with Yuyan, with Naruto, with my brother.

I think I've come to forgive Konoha, but forgetting was harder and the more I thought of it, my forgiveness retracted itself.

I remember the day I chose to go after Itachi when he came to the village after the chuunin exams. Had I listened to Yuyan, I wouldn't be in this mess. She told me Itachi refused to kill her, but I didn't believe her because I was blinded by my desire to kill him. Our relationship went downhill after that. I ruined the one good thing I had going for me.

When I woke up from the incident I was so angry that I challenged Naruto and was blinded by jealousy when I realized how much he had grown. We were so careless we almost put Sakura in danger.

"These eyes are a curse," I muttered to myself, "when I can see I'm even more blind than when I can't." When I was losing my eyesight after fighting Danzo, I could clearly see the path I wanted to take and what it meant to achieve that.

"Psst."

I was even starting to hear voices in my head.

"Hey, Uchiha brat."

Probably my conscience.

"Sasuke Uchiha!" the voice loudly whispered.

"Yes I know I've fucked up," I replied.

"It's Hisen! Yuyan's bird!" I remembered the familiar old-timer bird who was guiding me in my fight against Yuyan. I felt a little awkward thinking it was a voice in my head but who else would it be? I didn't recognize it as anyone from the Akatsuki.

"Why are you here? Everyone here knows who you are if you get caught you'll be their dinner," I whispered to him. I would have gotten closer to where be was but I couldn't see him.