26 - Promenade

Prom night. I was nervous. I had spent over two hours trying to get myself to look perfect. I assumed there would be photographers there and I would love an amazing photo of me and Nick together.

I was hoping my parents would be there to wave me off but both of them had work. They were always so busy, sometimes it depressed me. I stepped into my car. We decided against a limousine, we weren't that bothered about the night like some of the 'mean girls' in our school. My small car was good enough for me.

I turn the key in the ignition. The car began to cough. Nothing happened. I turn the key again, it began to start up and then suddenly spluttered. It wasn't starting.

"Shit" I whack the steering wheel resulting in a large beep from the horn. My phone laid on the seat beside me. I grabbed it and dialled Nick.

I told him about the car, I knew my dad could fix it. But not tonight. Nick suggested a cab.

"I know its not your car or even a limousine but at least its something, right?" He says down the phone as I sit anxiously in my car. My nervousness begins to rise.

"Alright" I sigh. I guess getting someone else to drive me there was better than driving myself.

After about 20 minutes a car pulls out the front of my house. Nick steps out of it and greets me.

"Holy shit, you look beautiful" he smiles holding my elbows and kissing me quickly.

"You look amazing too" I compliment him checking out his suit. It was extremely smart. A white shirt, black overcoat and red tie suited him oddly. He didn't even have his cane, hopefully he could put up with dancing the entire night and standing up.

He let's me step into the cab before climbing in himself and shutting the door behind himself. He held my hand as we drove towards the school where all of the commotion was happening. Nick pays the taxi driver the money we owed him and got out of the car before me, he walked around the back just so he could open my door like a gentleman, pulling me out so I didn't damage my dress.

"Can you look after my phone?" I ask him. I had completely forgotten to buy a matching purse so I was just carrying around my phone in my hand awkwardly. At least Nick had pockets.

"Of course. Just don't let me forget else I might spend all of tomorrow morning searching through your texts to all of your other boyfriends" he jokes as I pass him my phone. He quickly slides it into his jackets inside pocket.

When we both get into the hall the first person I spot out is Rachel and Luke. I was glad our school decided not to go for a theme. I would have dreaded that. Both Rachel and Luke were getting their photos taken together. Too be honest, it was really cute.

"We should do that" I say to Nick getting slightly excited.

"You know I don't like my picture taken" he groans.

"Oh come on, it'll be fun" I take him by the hand and drag him over to the photographer.

"Alright kids, I'm going to need you to stand over there together and we can get a beautiful shot" he smiles lifting up the camera as me and Nick take position in front of him.

It was a cliche prom photo. The sort where Nick was holding my hips and staring directly into the camera. I found it hilarious that even though he managed to wear a suit, he still couldn't drop the scruffy hat. I think I'd learnt to accept that the hat would never be coming off unless he's sleeping or showering.

"Three, two, one. Smile!" The photography shouts spamming the top button of the camera. Me and Nick both smile awkwardly but before I knew it Nick was leaning me over and began pressing his lips against mine. I could still hear the clicking of the camera as it happened.

"I thought we could get some nice pictures of us together" Nick grins before moving away from my face and putting me back on my feet.

"Beautiful moves Mr.Casanova." the photographers face gleams as he reviews his photos. The photos would be processed and then sent to either our houses or be able to be collected from us at school.

Our school was weird. There was renovations going on later on in the year in the hall that prevented us from having prom later on, that's why we were having it in May. I didn't mind too much and neither did half of the girls here, they were excited that the day had come sooner.

The night mainly consisted of terrible sober dancing from Nick which actually concerned me. It worried me how his leg was holding up, he looked a lot better. Something tells me he had thrown a load of painkillers down his throat before coming out, blocking out any pain he should be experiencing.

"Has anyone ever told you that you're shit at dancing?" I begin to laugh as he throws me some jazz hands.

"Probably, but I never listened to them. Who cares? its fun. Come join me." He chuckles as he attempts to embarrass me even more. I was convinced he was about to get down on the floor and start spinning any second. I dreaded that. But luckily he didn't.

"I'd rather not"

"Come on, see look. Even Rachel's dancing." He points across the hall to the pregnant teenager shaking her hips by the punch bowl.

"I don't really want to" I groan.

"Stop being such a spoil sport and get your ass over here before I have to drag you." He laughs.

"I'm not coming" I say stubbornly digging my heels into the ground.

"That's it" he sighs walking over to me with pace. He begins to yank me by the arm and I nearly trip over in the shoes that I was wearing.

"Im going to fall over" I shout at him as he drags me over to the centre of the hall. He either didn't hear me over the music or he chose to ignore me. Nick finally stops and I brush myself off and stare at him as he once again begins to dance but this time he takes my hands and violently shakes them back and forth.

I didn't understand how this was dancing and it was kind of embarrassing. I would have much preferred to have been drunk at this point, that way I might not have remembered me embarrassing myself. Instead the memory of me dancing in front of a huge group of people was lodged into my brain.

"See you're great at this." He winks, it was amazing to see Nick finally happy. A true smile came from his lips. The kind of smile that nobody could facade. Honest.

"I'm doing pretty bad if you ask me." I burst out laughing as we continue to dance to some crap pop song. I had no idea what it was, all I knew was it was shit enough to match my shit dancing.

"You're doing fine" he grins before grasping my hand and allowing me to twirl.

*******
Tomorrow, you guys will hate me xD

I will be posting the last chapter + the epilogue because they fit together.

You guys are honestly going to hate me xD But just know I love you and I don't intend to  make you cry... Well actually. I do but...