(61) Are you my happiness?

➵ s i x t y  o n e

Happiness comes in many configurations. 

It may come in the rudimentary form of living a hale and hearty life. For multitudinous people it may be implementing what they love. It may even come in materialistic things, the world is fucking filled with happiness! 

To me, happiness is a pantry brimming of anything and everything that will tingle my taste buds and go straight to my thighs, my laptop on full charge with twenty tabs worth of episodes open, and a lovely vanilla scented candle deposited at the right of my left night stand.

Tonight, my happiness comes with an extra twist. I’m annexing in a heat pad, a couple blankets, a box of tissues for my expected limping tears, and plenty of panadol period pain pills.

I finally lift my head out of my pantry, hand full of delicious foods when mama walks into the kitchen with her purse in hand. 

“What in the world are you doing, Lizzie?” she sighs as she shakes her head, placing a hand on her hip. She sets her purse onto the counter, rummaging through it. 

“I’m building a woman cave, this is essential material mama,” I exaggerate, pointing to the various bags and packages of calorie-filled snacks. You can say I’m pretty hungry.  

“Just don’t leave a mess, okay?” she warns, placing her phone and keys into her purse before she zips it up. “I still smell brownies and pizza rolls from last month in the lounge room,” she winces, cringing her face.

“You won’t, I promise,” I laugh. “Where you off to?” I inquire, leaning against the counter.

“The Garland’s are having a dinner party type of thing and of course, your dad wouldn’t pass up an opportunity to yell at football players through a screen chugging on mango smoothies with his weird friends, so here we are!” she sings. “Don’t tell him I said that,” she shushes, raising her finger in alert. 

I raise my hands in defense. “When are you gonna be home, though?” I ask.

“Late, so lock the door before you go to bed alright sweetheart? I have a key. Oh and call if you need anything,” she nods, picking up her purse. “And Lizzie that does not include me bringing home any type of tacos for you, please don’t scare me like last time,” she begs, shrugging her shoulders down before she moves closer to the staircase.  

I shake my head, moving my lean from the counter and folding my arms together.

“Ryder!” my mom yells towards the stairs. “You have ten seconds to come down before I take my shoes off and binge watch Breaking Bad for the night.” 

I hear my dad’s rumbling from the top of the stairs as I collect my foods in my pull-over, making as I would like to call it: a clothing food basket. 

I’d like to thank the first person who thought of this incredible life-saving creation. I can assure you, it has saved millions.

“I’m coming, I’m coming!” my dad runs down the stairs, struggling to put on his jacket. He comes towards me, giving me a kiss on the forehead. “You need anything before we leave?” 

“God,” I exaggerate, slumping my shoulders. “You’re not moving away for ten years, go! Leave!” I smile widely, struggling to keep the boxes held close to my chest.

I watch both my parents adjust there clothing and hairstyles facing the mirror beside the door. About to leave, mama does a double take.

“Oh and we’re taking Seth out for lunch on Friday so you should come with, okay sugar?” mama unlocks the door, smiling at me.