Chapter 18_But the truth?!

Third Person's POV.

August 17th, 2049.

Heroes Headquarters, Queens.

7:45pm

While Hunter and Jayden slipped into an almost comfortable conversation back in Manhattan, Elaine stood by her desk, putting away the files that lay across her usually tidy desk, she was done for the day and was feeling exhausted, she picked up an armful of files and begun heading to the file analyst, she typed in the code and waited, her foot softly tapping against the floor, humming an old tune, it something from her old room 93 album at home.

Suddenly a huge holographic screen appeared in front of her and a pair of binary eyes blinked down at her, the AI smiled in recognition.

"Good evening President Elaine, what are the reports of today's work?" The female AI responded automatically in a computerized voice.

Elaine typed in another code and there was a soft beeping sound before the AI blinked again.

"I'll get this files processed and stored in your secret folder before the end of today, is there anything I can help you with Mrs President?" The AI asked.

"Turn off all the lights in the center" Elaine ordered.

"Consider it done have a great night President Elaine" the AI responded.

With a blink, the AI turned off Elaine's office light and presumably the rest of the Headquarter's lights, Elaine grabbed the remaining files on her desk and headed for the door, her hand paused over the doorknob and she froze instantly. The colour in her face drained, her eyes widened and turned white, she quickly pulled her hand back, her eyes returning to their bright blue color and she rushed back to her desk.

"Layla power back on" Elaine frantically called out.

In an instant, the AI was back, "is anything the matter Mrs President?"

"Someone is headed towards this office, can you tell which route the person took?" Elaine asked, running across the room with the files in her arms, frantically stuffing them into her drawers, she couldn't risk feeding them into the AI, she would lose her head if she did, the drawers weren't safe either but they would hold for the night.

The AI stared at the door, the only sound in the office was soft beeping sound in the background, it turned to Elaine, "a humanoid approaches your office, Mrs President, presumably female, 5 ft 9 with a shoulder tattoo, she took the left route, the route that's only open to the President herself"

Elaine's movement became wilder and more frantic, her eyes constantly watching the door as she got rid of the files, "how much time do I have left?"

The AI once again focused on the door before turning to Elaine, "the human just took a left turn, it used the short cut, which shortens your original time from 3 minutes 35 seconds to 1 minute and 3 seconds" The AI answered.

"Oh God" Elaine muttered and began to grab multiple files all at once as the machine begun it's countdown.

"1 minute 0 seconds" the AI informed.

Elaine had put the second to the last of the stack in her drawer which was already stuffed, her eyes scanned her office for any place to keep the last ones.

"0 minutes, 45 seconds"

Curse her late alerting skills, Elaine could have hidden the files earlier, except she didn't know about 'her' visit until an hour later, when 'she' was almost to Elaine's office door.