Finally, Pyongyang

Korea was experiencing a memory- one from years and years ago. Back when he had been North and South, and most of his comrades had been children, or at least more innocent than they were now.

         He had been seated on the huge over-stuffed couch, patterned with the hideous Soviet pattern that CCCP insisted was fashionable, the smell of cooking pelmeni spreading through the dacha, the place that the Soviet country lived to escape the hustle of Moscva, and always brought them to when they visited.

          China was sitting on the floor with Turkmenistan, playing with coloured blocks with the quiet girl. Poland and Hungary were out getting water from the well, and Bulgaria and Czechoslovakia had taken some of the other Soviet children to the city to get bread.

         A romantic-comedy was playing on the television- 'The Irony of Fate,' for the late new year, celebrated in the Lunar New Year, as soon as they had all been free.

         North had been watching it idly, thinking instead about his provinces, wishing that they could be with him, but not wanting to put them in harm's way.

         'South Hwanghae had better not be cooking. I should tell the cooks to not let her in the kitchen.' He would ask CCCP to make extra for his provinces later.

        "Humans sure are interesting, huh?" China asked, pulling North from his thoughts.

        The Countryhuman had ceased in his block building, both him and Turkmenistan focused on the screen as the two main characters locked lips.

         "I guess." North grimaced at the television. "I think I know what you mean by 'interesting,' though. Disgusting."

         China laughed, teeth flashing. It had all been innocent ribbing back then- his sleeping around hadn't started until after he had betrayed CCCP.

        "Come on, comrade? Who else do you plan on falling in love with? A Countryhuman?" China opened his eyes with the sole purpose of batting them at North. "Me?"

         He laughed, dodging the over-stuffed cushion that was thrown at him.

         "You can fall in love with me, Comrade North," Turkmenistan volunteered in her soft voice.

        "Sorry, Turkmenistan," North said to her. "You're a bit young for me."

       "You're supposed to marry me, anyways." China smiled, poking the young Soviet in the stomach. Turkmenistan giggled as the country tickled her.

         They all turned their heads as a roar of CCCP's laughter was heard from the kitchen, probably from one of Romania's jokes.

         China smiled. "He's in an extra good mood today."

         "It's been awhile since we all were able to get together," North said. "And the yield has been good this year." His own granaries were practically over-flowing.

         The front door opened, a Polish and Hungarian conversation coming from the mudroom. Poland and Hungary were back with the water. Armenia and Azerbaijan ran by giggling, hand-in-hand on their way upstairs, dressed in the white Scout uniform and red ascot that CCCP dressed all of his kids in, shortly followed by the 'twins' Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan, hunting their siblings for sport.

         Seeing them made North think of his own 'twin,' a pang going through him. 'I wonder how South is doing?' Probably out partying, the thought of North not even crossing his mind, unless it was to acknowledge the ever-present ache that was felt by them both. 'Fuck him,' North told himself, also telling himself that he meant it.