Space Between

Their group walked back towards Kim Il-sung Square once the crowd had dispersed, a couple of soldiers flanking them. The only person absent was China, who had wandered off with the woman from earlier, leaving her boyfriend looking confused in the park. Probably not the best New Year's for him.

      Russia was walking in front of them, excitedly talking to his father, with Nipponia holding his hand, and Krim sleeping on his back. The republic seemed happy to be back, and didn't seem too damaged.

    "I take it that we're not going to see China again tonight?" Y/N asked Korea, still holding his hand.

    The Korean growled. "We had better not. If he brings one of my civilians back to the high-rise to- spend the night, I'll kill him."

     Y/N laughed, leaning her head on his shoulder. She quickly pulled back, looking uncertainly at the Countryhuman.

    Korea rolled his eye, using his free hand to shove her head back onto him. "It's fine."

       The night was clear and cold, no clouds covering the waning moon. Voices echoed from around the streets, people heading home, still buzzed on the excitement of the Bell-ringing.

      Y/N was almost reluctant to be back inside, so nice was the crisp night-time air, despite her cheeks burning from the cold.

    Russia clapped a hand onto Korea's shoulder. "Congratulations, comrade. I know you've worked hard for your Reunification. And I'm sorry for how mad you're going to be at me tomorrow."

    "What do you mean?" Korea narrowed his eye in suspicion.

      "You'll find out." Russia grinned boyishly, bouncing into the elevator with his family. "Спокойной ночь."

    "I hate him," Korea muttered, glaring at the closed doors of the lift.

     SH laughed, followed immediately by a yawn. "Thank you so much for going through with the speech." She wrapped her arms around her republic's torso. "It means a lot to us."

    Hae squealed excitedly, enthusiastically joining the hug. "Thank ya, Korea!"

    Korea tolerated the contact for a few moments, then shoved his provinces away. "Alright, alright. Goodnight."

      "'Night," North Hamgyong said, heading for the kitchen. "I'm getting a drink."

      UIP and Kangwon bid them goodnight, as well, taking the stairs up to bed.

       Hwang joined South Pyongan, Hae, and SH in the elevator, the smallest female province leaning sleepily on her brother.

    Y/N looked at Korea, who was staring into nothing with an intense expression.

      As SH hit the button to go up, the Countryhuman's eye snapped wide open. "South Pyongan," he called. "Your favourite food is corn snacks."

      The sporty province's eyes widened in surprise at her republic's words, before breaking out into a wide grin.

      "That's fucking right, baby!" South Pyongan pumped a fist in the air, almost hitting Hwang. "Ura!"

     Y/N smiled as the doors slid shut, the province's cheering still audible.

    "Where are you going?" Korea asked her as she started for the dining hall.

     "I need to wash our dishes," she said. They hadn't had time to wash their plates after the tteokguk, leaving them on the dining hall table.