I'm Trying

It was Christmas Eve when Nipponia returned, although Y/N was only made aware of this by Nipponia walking into the dining hall midway through dinner, and loudly announcing, "It's Christmas Eve!"

     Y/N had never really celebrated Christmas- her mom had worked most years for much-needed overtime pay, and America had just toured around the country, dragging her with him to receive presents from his adoring 'patriots.'

      She still didn't really want to celebrate it. Her mindset had steeped, and she now thought that it was slightly vulgar that there was a date where you were expected to spend money on things people didn't need.

     She was actually glad that the DPRK- No, the United Korean SSR- didn't celebrate Christmas.

     Nipponia apparently did, though not in the 'traditional' sense.

     "I brought fried chicken!" she beamed, holding a large container. "It's not from KFC, but it's chicken! And it's fried!"

      The provinces looked blankly at the republic.

      "I know what most of those words mean," South Pyongan said. "But I don't know why you're saying them."

     "Christmas is a time for chicken and lovers," Nipponia announced. She was wearing a red shirt and shorts, apparently picked up overseas. "And since my lover's still in Ukraina, I have brought chicken for Y/N and her lover, and all of my friends."

     Y/N winced. Nipponia didn't know about Korea.

      "What kind of Christmas do you celebrate?" China asked in admiration. "I want in."

       "Take the chicken, then!" Nipponia set her bucket on the table. "It's a bit cold, but nothing the tea heater can't fix." Her eyes caught Korea, and they widened. "Um, North? Are you aware that you have two eyes?"

   The Countryhuman flinched back, regarding her warily. "Traitor," he hissed in his higher-pitched voice.

     Nipponia's ears flattened as she looked confused. "What did I do?" she asked, looking at CCCP.

     "Come with me." CCCP stood up, sweeping his adopted daughter from the room.

     Kangwon silently started heating up the chicken on the tea heater.

     In a few minutes, Nipponia burst back in, looking petulant. CCCP reached a hand after her, like he was trying to stop her. "Oi, North. You can't go away just as I started making friends with you." She leaned over in front of him. "Hear that, South? You're a bitch. Get out and give us North back." 

      "That's... not exactly how that works," SH said.

     The cat-girl rapped on Korea's forehead twice, making the other republic flinch. When she went to do it again, he shot out his hand, grabbing her wrist.

     "Stop that," he growled, voice deep again.

       Nipponia brightened, straightening up with her wrist still in Korea's grasp. "See? That is how it works. You just have to hit him on the head hard enough."

       "Touch me again, and face the consequences," he warned.

      "Can I have my wrist back, please?" Nipponia asked politely. "You're going to make it hard to eat my chicken."

      Korea huffed, releasing the girl, who rubbed her wrist.

      She made a 'tsk'ing noise, examining her hand. "My delicate, lily-white skin."