Lying Side

Y/N was on the infirmary floor, intent on visiting SH, when she heard a loud thud from down the hall.

Immediately a sick sensation formed in the pit of her stomach, and she jogged the rest of the way down the hall.

UIP's room was at the end of the corridor. She slid the door open, only to be greeted by a horrifying sight.

SH was on the floor, UIP straddling her, one hand over her mouth, and the other holding a sharp pair of medical scissors, about to bring them down into the province's chest.

Without thinking, Y/N threw herself at the republic, body-slamming him backwards, off of SH.

UIP let out a grunt, rectangular head striking the bedframe, dropping the scissors, which Y/N desperately reached for.

Before she could, the republic was using his legs to kick her off, sending her skidding.

"Korea! CCCP!" SH screamed behind her.

Y/N tried to scramble up, but UIP jumped on her, brandishing his weapon again.

SH came out of nowhere, grabbing the republic's arm, but he brought his other fist around, slugging her in the stomach, and sending her back with an ugly 'guh!' noise.

"SH!" Y/N cried, before UIP wrapped a hand around her throat.

"Die, goy," he hissed, bringing the scissors up to plunge them into her.

Thrashing, Y/N closed her eyes, preparing for the pain.

But it didn't come.

She opened her eyes again to see UIP clutching his scissor-wielding hand with his other one, blood seeping out of his golden skin where his nails dug into it.

"No," he growled in Arabic.

There seemed to be a war raging inside of him- both of his hands were trembling, like he was trying to break free of invisible shackles. His white eyes looked simultaneously murderous and panicked.

Suddenly someone else stormed into the room, and CCCP was wrapping his arms around his republic's waist, pulling him off of Y/N.

"Let go," he commanded icily, squeezing the other Soviet's wrist.

UIP dropped his scissors, hissing at the pressure on his bones.

"SH!" Y/N immediately scrambled over to the province, who was lying on the ground next to the bed. "Are you okay?"

The Provincehuman sat up, wiping vomit from her lips. She had thrown up on the floor. "Y-Yeah. I just- my head." She rubbed her temple.

Y/N frowned. Was it normal for the province to still be feeling the effects of her head injury? The provinces healed faster than most people, and South Pyongan's broken arm was already mostly functional, so why was SH still feeling pain?

Then SH's eyes widened, and she grabbed Y/N's shoulders. "Are you okay? I'm so sorry, I couldn't protect you-"

"You're hurt!" Y/N gasped, distracted.

A long cut ran down SH's bicep, dripping red on her white blouse from the shredded sleeve.

"I'm okay." The Provincehuman cupped her hand over it. "It's my own fault. I shouldn't have let him catch me by surprise like that."

That wasn't it, though. SH was a trained soldier, and Y/N knew from training with her that being taken by surprise didn't excuse being injured. The human girl looked in worry at the red gash on her friend's forehead.