Future of an Immortal part 5

Part 5

I sat on top of the sleeping bag I was now sharing and stared up at the stars that I had been looking up at for my long life. I realize people live to be 99 and over, but they don't have the rest of eternity to look forward to, unlike me.

I looked up to the sky that I had been looking at for my whole life and thought that no matter how many times I looked up at the sky, it always looked different. The stars always seemed to move around, but only at first glance. I could pick out constellations that I knew from when I was little.

My favorite was Orion because it looked like he was always there in an attacking position and ready to fight, although to me it looked more like an archer than a guy with a club.

I remembered back when I was little my mother used to show me all the stars and constellations...

------------------------------------------------------

"Hey mommy?"

"Yes honey?" She looked at me with a smile.

"Why do people make shapes in the sky?"

"Because in the olden days, they thought that there were actual people and otherworldly beings up there, but now we know that they are just stars," She looked at me. 

"But, why did they try to make people in the sky?"

"They wanted something or someone to look out for them, so they saw the beautiful twinkling lights and thought they were otherworldly beings or people they had lost watching over them."

"C-Can I have one?" I asked curiously, and she looked up toward stars.

"Look up there. Do you see those three stars in a row?"

"Yeah! I see them!" I shouted excitedly. She went on to point out the different stars that made up the constellation of Orion.

"Now, when you look at all of them, what do you see?"

"Umm.. I see.... an archer!"

"Very close, but I think it's a man with a club," She said with uncertainty, trying not to ruin my fun.

"No, it's an archer," I said stubbornly.

"Well, then, now that you've picked your star shape, he will be your protector, and he will chase away all the bad people that come into your life."

"Yay! I have a star shape!"

We both sat and looked at the stars for hours after that and she showed me all the constellations she knew. Unfortunately I didn't know that next day would be the day that I would be taken from my family.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

I woke up with a start. When had I fallen asleep? It was still in the middle of the night and I was thankful I hadn't missed my chance to leave.

I looked beside me and saw three other lumps laying on two sleeping bags. I sighed and stood up to grab my things. I decided to leave my sleeping bag so Sapphire  wouldn't wake up and quietly snuck away from the camp.

I started walking toward the entrance of a canyon and was almost there when I heard something fall from my backpack. I sighed and turned to pick it up. It was only then that I saw a large shadow moving toward me. The shadow walked closer and I dropped my bag to take a defensive position. How did someone sneak up behind me?

The shadow leaned down and picked up my water bottle that had fallen to the ground. He stood up and said, "You sigh a lot don't you?"

I was so close to sighing yet again that Jaydon had caught me leaving, but I stopped myself.

"Why are you following me?" I asked.

"Because you have yet to tell me why you're wandering around with no place to go."

"I already told you, my family died and it was easier to live on my own than in a foster home."

"Give me a break, you're running from something."

"I don't recall you ever telling me about your past, so why would I tell you?"

I got him there. He knew i was right, and that he wasn't willing to give anything up about himself, so I went on.

"You haven't said anything about yourself, so, why would I tell you if my past was probably as bad as yours?"

Then he got mad. He looked like he was gonna blow his top, sheesh, what did I say?

"You don't know anything! How would you know what my past was like or that your story was worse than mine!" He shouted.

"Oh, I don't know, how about being taken from your family and experimented on and made into some monster!" I screamed back.

Then I stopped. Oh no, what did I do?

No, no, no, no no, I had to leave. Now.

I stared with huge eyes at him to see how he would react that I just admitted that I was not who I seemed. He looked just as wide eyed as I'm sure mine were, so I took this chance to turn around and run through the entrance of the canyon to leave everything behind. 

I ran as fast as I could down the narrow canyon and felt a tear roll down my cheek. How could I be so stupid? I asked myself.

Crying?

How can some guy make me cry? I thought my tears all dried out when fate took everything from me, so how can he make me feel so sad?

I guess it only reminded me of how alone I was.