Chapter 29

Several Months Later

As we throw our hats in the air I'm consumed with the thoughts of what my future might bring. I glance around at the graduating class of 2019 and although it looks much different than I thought it would, this is home now. Two rows behind me Levi and Angela sit several seats from each other, but the tension radiating off of them from everything is clear in my eyes. Ethan is a few rows back from them and he catches me off guard giving me a friendly smile. I can't quite see Shae from here, but Jackie is in the row behind me and she takes my hand in hers.

"We did it," she says.

Last year at this time I still expected that I would be graduating with everyone back in Tulsa, I never imagined graduating in any other place. Here I am though, ready to leave this new place behind to start college. I do worry about the years ahead and about Mr. Holmes and Lawrence, but with his father in jail and not a peep from him I think I'm in the clear for now.

In a way I wish things would have worked out differently, and that friendships wouldn't have been tested the way that they were, but it happened and we are all ready to move past it all.

Mom comes rushing over with a big bouquet of flowers in her hand.

"Sweetie, you did it. I"m so proud of you, I can hardly contain my excitement," she squeals.

I take the flowers and breathe in their scent, Orchids my favorite.

"What time will you be home tonight?" she asks.

"I'm not sure, do I have a curfew?" I ask.

She shakes her head, "it's your graduation night. Live it up, but live it up responsibly - my dear."

Mom can't seem to contain her smile or her tears. I do hope they are happy tears. Since we got word that I will be heading downstate to Long Island for college she's been a little sad. It's only a few hour drive, but the fact that I'm leaving home has hit her hard. I'm leaving in mid-August to get settled and learn the area. Next week we get to pick up my new ride and I'm so excited to finally have a car of my own.

"Ethan darling," mom says, as he comes over.

Ethan smiles at mom and hugs her like they've known each other forever. I love that even through everything I have Ethan. I may have missed my chance with him by choosing Levi all those months ago, but he still no matter what has never left my side. I'm grateful for that. Even though Levi and I aren't together, Ethan and I have continued to just remain friends.

"Take care of this one tonight."

Ethan throws an arm around me, "I'll make sure she stays out of trouble," he says, tightening his grip on my neck. I reach up and run my hands through his shaggy hair.

"Alright. I'll let you go live your best life now, but tomorrow it's you and me," she says.

Ethan releases me as Jay comes over to chat with him. I give mom one last hug and go look for Shae. I find her by the bleachers with her mom. Mrs. Thomas is crying her eyes out, hugging Shae as tight as possible, not wanting to let go.

"Hey."

My heart still reacts to Levi's voice. It does one of those double beats and I have to put my hand on my chest to calm down. When I turn he's got his usual cocky grin on his face, but it doesn't reach his eyes. In fact his smiles never do anymore after what he did. He's getting better day by day, but he's still got a long way to go. Him and his dad have been seeing a counselor to work out their family issues.