Chapter 5

The first day wasn't all that bad, I ended up having lunch and Gym with Shae; so at least I had someone to chat with and didn't have to eat in the bathroom on my first day. Unfortunately Angela is in several of my classes and that includes Gym and lunch.

By the end of the day I made a few acquaintances in several classes, and was lucky enough to get Levi's number - sarcasm for that last one implied. He found me at my locker before I hopped in the car with Ethan and told me it was for the project and our date on his roof.

I jiggle the key inside the apartment door and the moment I step in I spot mom sitting at an unfamiliar round table between the kitchen and living room. Papers are spread all across, her laptop is open, and she has a cordless phone between her shoulder and ear. She looks stressed already and it's only her first day officially on the job.

"Hey sweetie," she mouths.

Not wanting to bother her I go wash up and then collapse onto my bed, exhausted from the lack of sleep and the long day at school. My phone chimes from inside the front pocket of my bag. I pull it out and see it's from Shae. Think about tryouts - could use a friend like you on the team. She adds a winking face and I can't help smile. Shae has really shown me that there still are some decent people in the world.

I'll think about it, I type back. She sends an emoji smiling with all its teeth showing. I go to put my phone down when it goes off again. I look at it and it's from Levi, Friday after school okay? I'll drive us to my house after school. LMK. I'm the type of person who gives everyone a chance and with Levi I feel like there's more to him than the cocky arrogant boy on the surface and I'd be wrong to not give him a chance. Sounds great.

I'm not annoyed by his text, and maybe it's because I was ignored by every single one of my friends this summer, including Jenna - that having people talk to me is a breath of fresh air. If anyone spoke to me at my old school they would be ridiculed. Dad made a huge mistake and he paid for it by bringing death to his doorstep as well.

There's a soft knock on my door, "Come in," I say.

"Hey, sorry about that I've been swamped today. Apparently the other guy was a real piece of work," she says.

"I heard that from Ethan," I say.

Her smile widens when I mention his name, "So Ethan?"

Her eyebrows wiggle and I'm so glad nobody else is here to see her embarrassing behavior.

"There's nothing there, mom," I laugh.

"So how was it?"

"Not bad actually. Ethan is cool. I'm doing an art project with his friend Levi Friday after school, we have to draw each other. I'm not sure when I'll be home..."

"Take all the time you need," she says, with a smile.

Ever since my friends abandoned me, she has been pushing me to get back out there. When we lived in Tulsa making new friends was nearly impossible because everyone knew who I was and what my father did. Here, it's like a fresh start and as annoying as it is when she pushes me, I know she's doing it out of the goodness of her heart.

"So are we doing takeout or should I actually cook tonight?"

I laugh, "Maybe one more night of takeout won't hurt."

"I agree," she says.

Mom gets up and starts for the door, "Hey mom," I call out.

She turns back around, "Yeah sweetheart?"