Chapter 15

“Oh, right.” Alice said as she remembers giving Kate a copy of her house when she went away for a couple of months so someone could watch over her house while she stays with her parents for a while.

“Don’t oh right me. Tell me where have you been and why was your phone off?” Kate asks Alice with a glare and Alice looked down, not wanting to meet Kate’s eyes. She knew she was angry at her. Kate would always scold her like a kid. Before she could respond, Kate spoke again.

“Stella called me yesterday saying she couldn’t reach you, and knowing you, I knew already that something was wrong. It’s not like you to drop calls, especially when it’s from Stella unless something was wrong.”

“I-I’m sorry, it’s just that…” Alice tried to speak but she found her voice to stagger as the scenes replay inside her head. Kate then closed her eyes and sighed deeply and walked towards Alice after opening her eyes and wrapped her arms around her best friend, hugging her tightly.

Alice cried a lot more as her best friend hug her; it was something that she needed so badly since yesterday and it made her let go of the tears she thought she already drained yesterday.

As Alice slowly stops  crying, and started sobbing, Kate helped her settle down on her bed and pulled out her handkerchief from her pocket and gave it to Alice

“Here wipe your face, I’ll just go down to get you some water.” Kate said and finally went down. As Alice was wiping her remaining tears on her cheeks, she could smell Kate’s scent from her handkerchief. It was that familiar scent that always comforted her.

After a few minutes, Kate got back with a glass of water on her hand and she gave it to Alice and sat down beside her on her bed. After drinking half of the glass, Alice set it down on her night table.

“I won’t ask what happened between the two of you since I know you still can’t, but tell me where you were yesterday.” Kate asked Alice as she looked at her, but Alice was still looking down. One of the things that Alice loved about Kate was that Kate would wait for her to say things when she’s ready unlike Stella who usually forces her and gets mad at her when Alice doesn’t say some things to her since she was not ready.

Alice then told Kate where she’s been all day, Alice also wanted to tell Kate what happened but she’s scared because she already knew that Kate doesn’t like Stella, but then again, she decided to tell Kate everything since she knew that she needs to take it off her chest to lighten the burden on her heart a little.

While telling Kate what happened, Kate has her full attention at what Alice was saying. After saying what happened, another wave of tears ran down her face and Kate once again hugged her to comfort her. As Alice starts to ease down Kate then glanced at her wrist watch and gently let go of Alice

“Sorry I need to go, I need to pick up Jenny from school, call me when you need anything okay?” Kate said and Alice nodded. Kate first gave Alice a kiss on the cheek before getting up and started walking towards the door.

“Kate, you forgot your handkerchief!” Alice said as she gets up and Kate turned towards her

“Keep it for now; I’ll just get it back when I visit you again, just don’t get any snot on there.” Kate said jokingly with a smile.

“Don’t worry I won’t.” Alice said with a small smile on her face, the first smile she had after the heartbreaking event yesterday.

Kate already left and after that familiar comforting feeling was gone, she wished she was with Kate again.