Chapter 22

As the morning sun rises, Kate slowly opened her eyes and saw a still sleeping Alice. She smiled at the sight she saw and she caressed Alice’s hair as she sleeps. Kate carefully studied Alice’s peaceful sleeping face and as she does so, her eyes stops at Alice’s lips, the scene then played back in her head when they were in the same room.

“I wonder what it would feel like.” Kate thought to herself, she then caressed Alice’s cheek with the back of her finger which then stops at corner of her lips. As Kate stare at Alice’s lips she then starts to reminisce about the past.

Why didn’t I choose to pursue it before? Why did I choose to be with a man that I didn’t love? If I told you that I love you back then, will you still be hurting right now?” Kate thought to herself as she regrets not being able to tell Alice what she felt in the past.

It was not like she regrets having her daughter with her, but she regrets not being able to tell Alice what she felt before. Kate then slowly leaned her face closer to Alice’s to kiss her, but stopped when their lips are almost close.

She thought that it will be unfair if she kiss Alice while she is sleeping. Kate then bit her lower lip as she slowly stood up, being careful not to wake Alice. “Kate…” As she gets off the bed, Kate heard Alice’s voice calling her name, her heart then started to pound faster as thought that maybe Alice was awake when she was about to kiss her. Kate then let go of her breath and slowly turned around, and relief quickly gushed through her as she saw that Alice was still asleep.

Kate then laughed softly as she was worried over nothing. “I’ll see you later, Alice.” Kate quietly said as she leaned into Alice and kissed her forehead. Kate then quietly left Alice’s room and proceeded downstairs.

It was almost afternoon and Alice found her hand searching for Kate’s body, and when she opened her eyes she found that her best friend is gone, Alice then felt that feeling of loneliness. As she sat up she sighed deeply, she already knew that Kate won’t stay but she still wasn’t able to prepare herself. She knew that it was time to finally stop relying on Kate to be there for her. It was time to finally let go of everything and start something new.

 Alice then made a few phone calls and booked a flight going to London, the first place that popped in her head, on the same night. After making the phone calls and informing Sarah of her leaving, Alice didn’t call Kate to inform her as she thought that it was best if she doesn’t inform Kate for she knew that Kate won’t let her leave, and continued to pack her things.

While going through her clothes, Alice found one photo album underneath the folded clothes in her cabinet, she then proceeded to take it. As she flips the pages, she saw that it was only photos of her and Kate, from the day where they started to be friends and up to the day where they graduated.

Alice then remembered their promise, that no one will be leaving each other’s side. A small drop of tear then continued to roll down Alice’s cheek as she thought that things are no longer the same, and that she wouldn’t be able to keep her promise any longer. “I’m sorry, Kate.” Alice whispered and she closed the photo album. Alice wiped her tears as she starts to calm herself down and continued to pack her things.

The sun was almost setting down and Alice have finished packing the things she will need. She still has a few more hours before she needs to go to the airport, so she decided to go to that one place before leaving for good.