Chapter 12

Alice tried to keep a straight face and a composed posture on the outside after hearing what Jack said even though deep inside she’s too shocked with what she heard. Alice became silent for a moment until Jack spoke.

“Is everything alright?” Jack asked, and it took a few seconds before Alice could reply.

“Ah, yes. Sorry I need to go back on stage after a few minutes, it was nice meeting you.” Alice said as she turned her back at the man and made her way towards the stage.

Alice tried to concentrate and try to think of the things that she suddenly found out earlier. At the first few pieces that she played she managed to get through but on the last piece, she keeps on missing a few notes. She bowed and went down from the stage and quickly went to the employee’s lounge and slumped at the couch. She didn’t know what to think, her head was going blank, but all she could think of, was why.

It was already an hour after the closing time and Alice was still sitting on the couch while staring blankly at the ring on-top of her right hand. All of the employees of the restaurant went to the lounge to take their things and leave, some said bye to her but some left quickly.

Alice still didn’t know how to react but she forced herself from thinking that there is a good reason why Stella didn’t told her that she already came back a month ago, but then again her own mind contradicted her, “Was that her with the girl? Why didn’t she tell me? Could it be that she doesn’t love me anymore?” She thought to herself but she shook her head and continued to stare at the ring on her hand.

“Still looking at the ring, huh?” Alice then looked at the door and she saw Sarah looking at her.

“Try and think for a second time if that ring is really meant for her. Anyway, you better leave as well, you and your brain needs some rest.”  Sarah then left and Alice wasn’t able to reply. Maybe she’s right, maybe they’re right.

A couple of days passed and Alice remained spaced out. She wasn’t sending Stella text messages or even calling her since she was unsure of what she was going to say, but neither was Stella calling her nor sending her text messages. Her sight slowly blurred with the tears that wishes to get out as she stared at her ceiling while lying down on her bed. She wanted to cry.

After wiping away her tears, she decides to go to Stella’s work place to confirm everything with her own eyes. She quickly grabbed her keys from her desk and went to her car. While driving she kept her hopes up and believed that Stella still haven’t come back.

Alice finally got to her destination, the front of the first floor of the building is made of glass and the people inside were visible. Alice was about to park her car but when she looked through the glass she saw Stella, assisting the exact same girl she saw across the road when she was in the park. She then felt a stinging pain in her chest, but the next thing she saw made her grip at the wheel tighten, Stella kissed the girl on the lips.

Her body felt light, her heart felt so crushed and she wanted to cry but there were no tears forming on her eyes. Her mind went blank and the next thing she knew, she grabbed the ring from the compartment and she was already making her way towards the front door.

When she finally got inside Stella looked at her with a shocked expression while she only looked at her with a poker face. “Why?” Alice then tightened her fist and threw the ring at Stella and stormed out of the building. “Wait!” Stella shouted as she chased Alice, but before she could catch up, Alice already drove away.