Chapter 6

The lights began to dim as she sat on the piano bench, and the only bright light was on the stage. As Alice sat on the piano bench and positioned her fingers on the keys, some of the customers turned and faced the stage to watch her.

She played with every emotion she has stored inside her heart, she played while fighting back her tears, she played with Stella inside her mind, and she played with those little stings of pain she felt in her heart.

The tears slowly reach the corner of her eyes as she played the last notes. With the keys pressed for the last note, the audience clapped, Alice stood in the middle and bowed with a few tears falling down, she was still supposed to play another song but the tears were already in the brink of rushing down from her eyes. She quickly got off the stage and went to the employee’s lounge while fighting her tears back.

There was no one inside so she quickly closed and locked the door and took her purse from her locker to get her cell phone. There was a text message as she looks at the screen and there was a faint smile upon her lips as she read the text message from her best friend 

Good luck on your performance tonight, you better do a great job or Sarah will surely be mad at you, keep smiling, lovelots xoxo :] 

Alice then thought of calling Kate but as she took a glance at her wrist watch, she thought that maybe she shouldn’t, but she still dialed and called her best friend. She sat on the couch while waiting for her best friend to answer.

“Hello?” said on the other line

“Hello Kate?”

The woman on the other line then yawned, clearly giving signs that she was disturbed from her slumber.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have called I woke you up, I’ll hang up now” Alice said as she was ready to hang up

“Alice? No don’t hang up. What’s wrong?” said Kate with worry that is clear upon her voice. There was a moment of silence before Alice spoke again.

“Nothing’s wrong I just thought I’d call you” after letting go a sigh, Kate then spoke while still a little worried about her bestfriend.

“Did Sarah scold you again?”

“No she didn’t, I was just having a hard time playing the piano and I think I didn’t play that well”

“You’re still thinking of her aren’t you? I know it’s easier said than done but, just try and relax and enjoy playing, I know you can do it and you’re one of the best pianist that I know”

“I don’t know…”

“Believe in yourself, I know you can do it. Use this time to take her off of your mind”

“I’ll try…”

“I know you can do it. Well you better get on stage now if you don’t want Sarah to really scold you”

“Alright, thanks Kate. I’m sorry for bothering you.”

“No worries its ok, now go and good luck ok?”

Good night.” Alice then hanged up the phone with a small smile on her face. The pain was a little gone from her chest and the tears no longer want to escape from her eyes as she received the words of encouragement from her best friend.

Alice then returned her cell phone inside her purse and returned it inside her locker. She looked at herself in the mirror that was inside the comfort room Kate is right, I can do this. Alice then set off with a determined look upon her face; she kept on saying to herself that she can do it despite knowing that deep inside she really can’t.