Chapter 16

“Well someone seems to be early” Sarah said as she approaches Alice at the bar. Alice kept her eyes at the glass on her hand

“I just had nothing else to do, and that’s all.” Alice said as she takes a sip from her drink.

“Well for all I know whenever you have nothing else to do, you stay home and sleep. Give me a glass of vodka please.” Sarah said as she sits down next to Alice. The both of them remain quiet for a while as they both drink from their glass.

Alice still has that one thing inside her head, and she still has that stinging pain in her heart. Stella still kept on calling her and trying to reach her, and she even went to her front doors, but Alice chose to ignore her, she doesn’t know how to face her anymore. She wasn’t sure of anything else but only the pain she’s feeling in her heart.

“It’s not bad to take a vacation once in a while, to you know, give time and space to everything.” Sarah said as she broke the silence clinging between them.

“To give time and space.” Alice said. She once thought of going away for some time, but she still felt the need to stay. She didn’t wish to run away from everything, but she also couldn’t bear the pain of her own heart breaking. She knows she needs to go away even for just a week, to let everything heal by itself.

“You don’t mind if I disappear for a long time?” Alice asked now looking at Sarah.

“Well, as your boss, I do since some of the regular customers will be saddened, but as your friend, of course I don’t. I know what you’re going through is hard and with every twist and turn that’s happening with your love life now, you do need a break.”

“Thanks Sarah” Alice said as she stands up and hugs Sarah.

“Don’t mention it; just be sure to put a good performance this night.” She replied with a smile on her face as she hugged her friend back.

Hours have gone by and Alice is inside the employee’s lounge’s restroom, applying her make up before she sets foot on stage for her last performance. After getting ready, Alice then went out of the restroom and she is greeted by Harvey, “looking good tonight Alice” he said with a smile.

“Thanks Harvey” Alice said as she replied to him with a smile. As Alice made her way towards her locker, Harvey then was about to leave

“Oh and Kate is outside looking for you.” After letting Alice know, Harvey then continued to walk outside of the lounge.

“Hey, Kate” Alice said as she greets her best friend outside the employee’s lounge.

“Hey Alice” Kate said as she turned around to face Alice.

“What are you doing here?”

“Nothing, I just thought I’d come here. I miss going to this place, and also watching you play the piano.” Kate said with a big smile on her face. Alice laughed softly as she heard her best friend’s words.  As their conversation continues, Alice felt the pain in her chest being relieved slowly. She then thought that maybe she doesn’t really need a vacation, that maybe all that she needs is Kate right beside her.

“Looks like I have to go on stage now.” Alice said as she gazes at her wrist watch.

“Alright I’ll see you later. Good luck.” Kate said and she smiled at Alice before they part ways.