Chapter 14

"We are going to die, we are going to die, we are going to die!" Emma says. "No, we are going to get caught, then we are going to die!"

"It was your plan!" I say.

"But you agreed!" She says. "Don't you know how crazy my plans are by now? This is your fault!"

"No, this is your fault!" I tell her.

"Shut it, it's your fault!" She shouts.

"Okay, let's split the fault: you get half, I get half." I propose.

"Okay."

It's been two days since we discovered what Brooke, Lucy and Daniel were up to, so it's the day we think they are going to leave.

We wander around the halls, trying to hide from every living thing on the ship. It's hard though, because Emma doesn't stop talking about how Brooke and Lucy are going to kill us when they find out.

"Chrix." Emma calls.

"What?" I ask.

"What do you think they were going to talk about the day we snuck into Lucy's office? In the Army meeting, I mean." She says.

"No idea, why?" I say.

"Do you think it might have been about the Mission?" She asks, and she makes me feel nervous. "What if they told everyone everything about the Mission?"

"They didn't. Lucy said no one but the people leaving could know." I say.

"Yeah, but are they going to leave just like that, without even warning us? Are they going to leave everyone here to die?" She asks.

"I'm sure they have made up a shitty excuse so they are able to sleep at night." I shrug.

"Yeah, you're probably right." Emma says. "But I still would like to know what the meeting was about."

We walk, trying to make the least noise we can, heading for the first floor of the ship, the floor that will detach from the rest of the ship.

Suddenly, Emma yanks me by the arm, opens a door and drags me in.

"Where are we?" I ask when she lets me go.

"I saw someone coming this way, and we were really lucky my compartment was here, if not, we would have gotten caught." She explains.

I look around me and I see a compartment that looks just like the one I had before Madison went crazy and remodeled it.

"Who do you live with?" I ask.

"No one, actually." She shrugs. "It's the only good thing that comes with being related to the Golden Leaders. You get more space."

"Ugh, I wish I was you." I say, letting myself fall on the bed. "You are so lucky, you don't have to wait for your roommate's extremely long showers, or her snoring."

Emma laughs. "What time is it?" She asks.

"Eleven o'clock or so. The so called 'meeting to discuss really important things concerning the whole ship' starts in less than an hour."

"Good. We have to get into the luggage department of the first floor before anyone has the chance to see us." Emma says.

"Okay, so this is floor two, because we are in our compartment, so we only have one floor to go."

"Wow, I didn't know you had a Scientist's brain!" Emma says in a mocking tone. "You are so good at math!"

"Let's just get going." I say.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Finally.

After forty minutes of hiding, walking and talking about many ways we could get caught and ways we could die, we have arrived to our destination, also known as the closet in the luggage room.

I open the door slowly, praying for it not to creak, and get in. Emma follows me.

The closet is more spacious than I thought. There is plenty of room for Emma and me; actually, there is room for at least four more people.

"How much time do we have to be here again?" I ask Emma.

"A few hours." She answers.

I groan. "This is going to be so boring..." I say.

"You have this amazing, soft floor to sleep on." Emma points out. "And you have me, so I promise you won't be bored."

"Whatever." I say, and sit on a box. The box gives in under my weight and I fall to the floor with a loud noise.

"Way to keep it quiet, girl." Emma says, helping me get up.

I hear footsteps outside the closet. "Go, go, go!" I whisper to Emma, as I push her deeper in the closet. We hide behind some white clothes that are probably adjusted to keep people cold, because just standing next to them makes the heat in my body go away.

"I swear I heard a noise in here." Daniel's voice says. The heat in my body is back, especially in my cheeks.

"Let's just go, Dan." Brooke's high pitched voice says. "We have to get ready. By the way, my little cousin isn't going to the Earth, so I think you'll need a new girlfriend, y'know?"

I feel my fists clenching at my sides.

"Shh. Don't talk. I think the noise came from that closet." Daniel says.

I think I'm starting to panic, and Emma covers my mouth with her hand. The door opens and I see Daniel's tall figure and Brooke's small silhouette near the entrance.

Daniel moves a few clothes and enters the closet. He's so close, if I extended my arm, I could touch him.

Emma lets go of me and my mouth is free.

Daniel comes closer and closer to me, our faces are just separated by the white clothes in front of me...

Not anymore.

He has pulled the clothes to the side, and we are now face to face. His deep chocolate brown eyes stare into my greenish brown eyes in surprise.

"Please, don't tell Brooke." I plead in a low, low whisper. "Please. Emma's with me. Daniel, please."

He comes a bit closer to me, our noses touch each other. "Okay. You owe me, Clarisse." He answers in a whisper.

I ignore the 'Clarisse' part and nod slightly. As I nod, my nose touches his lips and I suppress the urge to grab his shirt and pull his lips against mine.

"Okay." I whisper.

"There's no one back here, Brooke." He says out loud.

"I told you!" She says. "We are wasting time, Dan."

"I don't think we are." He says under his breath, and looks at my lips, then turns away.

He walks out and Brooke's silhouette puts an arm around her as he closes the door.

I let out a huge breath and smile.

"That was intense." Emma says.

"You can say that again." I sigh as I sit on the floor. "I'm just going to sleep now. Wake me up when you want to sleep."

Few seconds later, I fall asleep.