Chapter 6

“Robbed?” Emma asks, tilting her head. “Who would want to rob this place?”

  “We don’t know.” The boy says. “It’s just… weird. We all have enough food and we can eat what we want… I don’t really understand this.”

  Maybe he doesn’t understand, but I do. And by the look Emma gives me, I can see she understands, too. I motion towards a table with my head.

  “Okay, so here is my card, I pay for her food and my food.” Emma says, changing topics. I give her a look. “Really, it’s on me. Tomorrow, it can be on you, okay?”

  “Okay.” I say.

  The boy takes Emma’s card, rubs it on a screen and gives it back. We choose a table.

  “Did you hear that?” Emma whispers, sitting on one of the chairs. “I didn’t know our problems were this bad. If people are already robbing, we could be back to the Earth very soon.”

  “I know.” I whisper. “Why are we whispering?”

  “Because if someone hears us talking about this, they might think we’re planning something.” Emma whispers.

  “What are you planning?” a voice I know really well says behind Emma.

  “Hi, Jade!” I say, trying to act casual. “What are you doing here? Hey, have you met Emma? She’s really nice, you know!”

  “What are you planning?” Jade repeats.

  “Nothing.” Emma and I say at the same time.

  “Don’t worry, Jade, nothing’s going on, now we’re going to go eat our breakfast at my compartment because Madison’s with her aunt and I don’t feel good.” I say without breathing.

  Jade frowns and narrows her eyes. She doesn’t believe me, I know. After being my so called friend for seven years, she has gotten to know me.

  Therefore, she knows when I’m lying and when I’m telling the truth. She keeps staring at me, like she’s trying to see through me, and I get up.

  “Let’s go, Emma.” I say.

  Emma gets up; we grab our trays and get away from Jade.

  “Geez.” Emma snickers. “What was that all about? Are you really friends with a Scientist?”

  I doubt Emma will like me if she finds out my only friend is Jade.

  “No, not really.” I lie. “Jade used to be my friend, but when she became a Scientist, we stopped being friends.”

  “Okay, then.” She says.

  “Hey, having breakfast in my compartment was just an excuse, but if we go back, Jade will suspect.” I say. “So, want to go to my compartment?”

  “Yeah, okay.” She shrugs.

  We walk to Madison and I’s compartment, in the third floor, and go in. It has changed so much since I arrived seven years ago.

  Madison has pink and purple covers for her bed, while I have my original ones. Madison’s half of our closet is full with designer clothes, and those are the only clothes that aren´t black and white I’ve ever seen. Everyone else in the ship wears the same clothes as me. Madison has decorated our mirror with stickers and she has put pictures of her in every wall.

  Madison is always the one with all the privileges, since everyone found out her aunt is part of the Leaders. You might be curious about how they found out. She told everyone, giving out flyers.

  Since then, the Cooks bake her muffins every morning, the Scientists have designed her signature perfume, the Sweepers clean our compartment better than everyone else’s, and the Army protects her whenever she needs help. Everyone in Opportunity is at her service.

  “Wow.” Emma says. “Your compartment is... really up-to-date.”

  I laugh. “I know it’s hideous. Didn’t you hear what I said earlier? My roommate is Madison, Lucy’s niece.”

  Emma smiles and looks around her.

  “Yeah, I know, but this doesn’t look like something you would allow.” She says. “Besides, I thought that girl’s obsession with glitter and all things shiny had passed when she got in the Army.”

  “The what now?” I ask, tilt my head to the side and smirk. Madison in the Army? I don’t think so. First, she would have told me; second, she’s a sissy.

  “Madison entered the Army last week.” Emma says. “Her aunt ‘made an exception’ for her and she didn’t have to try out.”

  Madison. In. The. Army. I can’t believe it. "Are you sure?" I ask, not believing her yet.

  “Yeah, and now, she’s a Gun Shooter.” Emma says.

  Madison with a gun? Opportunity is in danger.

  A/N: Liked the chapter? Tell me your thoughts on it! Come on, don't be shy...

  So the media for this chapter is a character banner for Madison, I hope you like it! And, if you want me to do a character banner or a cover, or a banner for your story, feel free to ask for it! I'll be glad to do it. I'm kinda bored...

  Bye!!