Chapter 19 - Part 2

Being alone sucks.

It’s like you’re isolated from the rest of the world. It’s like you’re the only human left on Earth.

Well, if this is even the Earth.

I spend the minutes, the hours, the days trying to make myself believe this is all a dream. No, not a dream. A nightmare.

It isn’t working though. I still don't believe it.

Twice a day, a guard comes with some of the medicine Ségolène gave me when I first met her, Aceso’s. The guard is tall and thin and he’s very, very silent. He has never spoken to me, but he always stays for a few minutes, until I drink the whole bottle of medicine.

“Why don’t you speak to me?” I ask him one day.

“I’m not supposed to talk to you,” he says with a glimpse at an accent like Ségolène’s. “Plus I don’t want to.”

He’s as bitter as Aceso’s.

“Fine then,” I say.

Then he leaves and I sit in the dark room, all alone again.

“Hello, Chrix!” Trinity’s voice says. I look up and there she is again, staring at me. “What are you doing on the floor?”

“Nothing.” I shrug. “What are you doing here?”

“Frédérique said I was ready to go outside! I'm now a free person, Chrix!” She smiles. “The first thing I wanted to do when I was free was coming to see all you locked people. So here I am.”

“Oh. And as a free person, can’t you make me free?” I think that kind of thing used to happen in ancient times, thousands of years ago.

“No, only the Head Citizens can do that,” she says.

“Who are the Head Citizens?” I ask.

“You know, the bosses, the ones who tell us what to do and make sure our society works,” Trinity explains. “They’re the only ones allowed to leave the Headquarters.”

“Oh, you mean the Leaders.” Like Daniel, I think.

“Leaders? No,” she says. “Head Citizens. They’re not called Leaders.”

“Never mind,” I tell her.

Nico must be a Head Citizen. Maybe Olympia, Marta and Ségolène are too.

“Do you know any Head Citizens?” I ask just to make sure.

“Yeah!” She says. “Frédérique, the guard, is one. The other French girl, Ségolène, is too. There is also this really nice girl, Marta, and her boyfriend Nico.”

The guard’s name is Frédérique. Good to know. Also Nico and Marta have a thing going on. If I ever leave this prison, I’ll have some gossip to discuss with Olympia.

Oh my god, what am I even thinking? I'm never leaving this cell. 

"Oh, okay." I say.

She looks at me narrowing her dark brown eyes. "Is something wrong? I can call Frédérique if you want me to."

"No, really Trinity, everything is okay," I say. "I just feel a little lonely. You're the only person that has talked to me for more than five seconds since I came here."

Trinity smiles. "Yeah. I felt lonely too when I was locked. I tell you what, I'm going to go talk to Frédérique and see if someone can come give you company. No, better, I'll see if can come give you company."

I look at her. "You'd do that for me?"

"Yeah," she says, still smiling. "I'll come in a few minutes with a Head Citizen."

"Okay."

She turns around and walks away. I follow her with my eyes until she turns around the corner and I can't see her anymore.

I wait for hours, my eyes fixed on the wall at the other side of the bars, waiting for Trinity's little silhouette to show up. 

It never does. 

I wait, wait, wait... 

Wait...

Wait.

Until I fall asleep on the cold, hard ground.

A/N:  Hope you enjoyed the second part of Chapter 19, vote and comment!

Also don't forget to follow @TheStolenBook on Twitter and if you want to, follow me: @Serenity_Writes!