Chapter 20

“Get up, you filthy Betrayer."

"Nico, leave her alone. You know she was like ten when they left. She didn't have a choice."

"Shut up, Olympia."

I open my eyes and see Nico and Olympia standing outside my cell. "What are you doing there?" I ask.

"We decided we couldn't keep you there anymore. You don't deserve to be locked in a cell," Olympia says.

I get up, fast as lightning. "Really?" I look at Nico in disbelief.

"I didn't decide anything, she did. Don't get your hopes up, Betrayer."

That makes more sense. I look at Olympia again. “Why exactly did you put me here in the first place?”

She sighs. “We’re sorry, Chrix. Nico, tell her we’re sorry.”

“You can’t make me.”

Olympia takes a gun from her belt and Nico smirks. “You won’t shoot me. You’re too nice.”

“You’re right.” Olympia says, playing with the gun in her hand. “But if I give this to Chrix, I think she’ll have no problem pulling the trigger… Won’t you, Chrix?”

“She doesn’t know how to shoot a gun,” Nico says.

“Do you really want to test that?” I ask, a smile threatening to form on my lips. “I’m a filthy Betrayer, right? Who knows what I can do.”

“Fine, sorry,” he says, and rolls his eyes so I can tell he doesn’t mean it.

“Chrix, just come out already,” Olympia says while opening the door of the cell.

I hesitate. I don’t know how many days I’ve been here. It feels like I’ve been here for months. “It’s my first time going out of the cell in months.”

Olympia frowns. “You entered the cell last week.”

Nico tries to hold back a laugh.

“Seriously?” I ask.

“Um, yeah,” Olympia says. “Do you feel alright?”

“Yeah,” I say. “I feel grand after being alone in a depressing cell with only the bugs and a girl with amnesia for company.”

“What girl with amnesia? Chrix, are you sure you’re okay?” Olympia says.

I tilt my head. “Trinity, the girl with amnesia that came to visit once in a while. You, the Head Citizens, put her in here; you have to know who she is better than anyone.”

Olympia looks confused, and Nico isn’t laughing anymore.

“Who are the Head Citizens?” Olympia says. “I’ve never heard of them or a girl named Trinity.”

Now I’m confused. If they don’t know Trinity, maybe… Maybe she didn’t even remember her name and made it up, and she was actually crazy and made up the Head Citizens too.

“Maybe she was so crazy she made her own name up,” I suggest.

Wait, that makes no sense, why would they let her free if she is crazy?

I don’t know what is going on here.

“Chrix, the only person in the prison besides you is James, a man that went crazy and tried to burn down the Headquarters. And we would never let him talk to you.”

“Then why did I saw Trinity?” I ask. “Better yet, if Trinity doesn’t exist, how do I know a guy named Shane tried to kill her with his hands to get revenge for the lost of his family?”