Chapter 7

“So what you’re telling me is that Madison, the same Madison who lives in this compartment” I say, not believing what she just told me. “Is now a Gun Shooter and she owns a gun?”

  “Yes.” Emma says. “Better yet, she’s in the first squad.”

  The first squad? Only the best of the best get in the first squad. It took me six months of insanely hard practise to get in that squad, and Madison just had to ask for it? That’s definitely not fair.

  But, of course, nothing’s fair when you’re talking about Madison. And comparing yourself to her. I seriously can’t believe her or her ‘auntie’ Lucy. Lucy’s a Leader; she’s supposed to be a responsible adult.

  And she’s not.

  “Oh, my god, life is so unfair.” I say, letting myself fall on the bed.

  “I know.” Emma says, sitting next to me. “Well, at least we’re safe in Opportunity.”

  "For now." I point out.

  "I know." Emma says, looking at the floor.

  I grab my breakfast and start eating. I realise how hungry I was and eat faster. Emma laughs.

  “Vat?” I ask with my mouth full.

  “You’re funny when you eat.” Emma says, covering her smile with her hand.

  The screen starts beeping.

  “Incoming message for the members of the Opportunity Army.” A voice coming out of the screen says. “Please enter the password to see it.”

  We, the Army members, have a password. If you don’t know if the person in front of you is part of the Army, you just have to ask for the password. Of course, there are two parts of the password. The person who is asked says the first part, and the person who asks says the second part. That way, no one but the Army members knows the password.

  Emma hesitates, then gets up and types the Army’s password in the keyboard. Daniel, the Leader who is in charge of the Army, appears on the screen. I can feel my stomach twisting inside of me. Every time I see Daniel, that happens.

  “Members of the Opportunity Army: meet me at the Bows & Arrows Room in five.” He says. His voice is as soothing as always. I could listen to it for hours.

  When I first arrived to Opportunity, I was alone and lost. Well, alone without counting Jade. So Daniel, who was 15 back then, took care of me and we kind of became friends.

  When I turned 11 and he turned 17, he got elected as a Leader and we stopped being friends. But I still remember when we were when I watch the messages he sends the Army. I like thinking he sent them just for me.

  Which he didn’t, of course.

  “Bows and Arrows Room?” Emma asks and scrunches her nose. “Where is that?”

  “I don’t know, but we’ll find out.” I say, and take her hand. “Let’s go.”

  We search the hallways for a sign that will tell us where the ‘Bows & Arrows Room’ is, but we don’t find it. I have no idea where that is.

  I look behind me, and I see a flash of pink and purple in a crowd of black.

  Madison.

  “Hey, I found Madison!” I tell Emma. “I’m sure she’s going to the Bows & Arrows Room too! Let’s follow her without her noticing us.”

  Emma smiles, her grey-ish eyes open widely. “It’ll be an adventure!”

  I laugh. “Yes, it will.”

  “C’mon, Chrix.” She says.

  We follow Madison through the corridors, but soon I realise she’s not going to the Bows & Arrows Room. There aren’t any more Army members in the section we’re in. There aren’t any more people than Emma, me, Madison and the two people surrounding her.

  “Hey, where are we going?” Emma whispers.

  “I have no idea.” I whisper back.

  Though I’ve never been in this part of the ship before, something like curiosity is flooding through my veins and making me want to keep following Madison. Where is she going anyway?

  Madison opens a door, looks behind her, and goes in. She looks secretive, like she’s hiding something from everybody. I can’t wait to know what it is, especially if it can get her in trouble.

  It’s been a long time since I have busted her doing something she shouldn’t do. That happened once, when we were 12 and she tried to ditch school and go spend her aunt’s money at the buffet. I ran looking for Lucy and told her. Madison was really angry at me, but the satisfaction of busting her… Ah, it’s really worth it.

  Emma puts her ear on the door, trying to listen to what’s going on inside.

  “I can’t hear anything.” She whispers. I put my ear on the door too and I can’t hear anything, either.

  “What is going on in there?” I ask, still whispering. “I can’t even hear her breathe.” Madison’s breathing is really loud. When I arrived here, I wasn’t able to sleep because of it. Then I got used to it.

  “Let’s just knock.” Emma whispers. “We can say we’re lost and we don’t know where the Bows & Arrows Room is.”

  “We won’t be lying.” I smirk, and knock at the door.

  No one answers, so I knock harder.

  “Hello?” I say. “Anybody in there?”

  Same. I get no answer.

  I decide to open the door. Madison won’t open it, so I will.

  I open the door and find a window and a desk.

  A/N: Two updates in one day? I'm on fire! Besides, this is a long chapter, it's like, 920 words long (not counting the A/N, of course). 

  I made a character banner for Emma! I hope you like it. Again, I'm bored, so if you want me to do any kind of graphic design for your book, tell me! I don't care if you use it or not, I just need something to do.

  I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Bye!

  Serenity.

  P.S: The Stolen is #927 in Science Fiction! It's not much, but it's something!