Chapter 3

A girl came into the Lunch Room and stared at me. She was tall, she had big blue eyes and brown, straight hair.

"Excuse me" she said. "Can I sit here, with you? My name is Jade."

"Of course." I told her. "I'm Chrix, by the way. I'm in compartment 367, and I'm nine."

"Oh, I'm in compartment 369, next to yours. Nice." She said. "But is your name really Chrix? It isn't a common name, is it?"

"It's short for Christine" I said.

Why did everyone have a problem with my name? Was it that hard to call me Chrix? Don't think so.

Jade seemed nice, but she wasn't very interesting. She was on the plain side. She spoke in short sentences, and when she answered to my questions, she always said "yes", "no" or "I don't know".

"Have you heard about the different jobs?" she said after ten minutes of boring conversation. "Of course, now we're just students, but when I'm 15, I want to be in the Army."

I was going to laugh, but I didn't, because Jade would have been mad at me. She was so skinny, she didn't look strong, she looked too elegant to fight. I didn't know how she could ever fire a gun or throw a knife. I pictured the image of this girl throwing a knife, her eyes closed and her hand trembling, and I almost laughed again.

I, on the other side, had been trained for the Army. My trainer said I was strong and intelligent, and that because of that when I was 15 I should definitely be a part of the Army. I didn't get why being intelligent would help, but my trainer explained:

"Intelligent people know how to control their strength" she had said. "Being strong doesn't matter if you're stupid. Strategy, Christine, strategy."

Strategy.

When she said that word, I understood. Strategy was what separated brains from brawns, what made the brains superior. They knew what to do in battle, while strong but dumb people just followed orders.

"Yeah, I want to be in the Army too" I told her. Maybe she could be the brains and I could be the brawns.

"Good. Then we'll be taking the tests together" she said.

"Meanwhile, we can be friends." I said "I mean, after the tests too, but you know, to make everything more fun as we wait."

I didn't really mean that. I didn't like Jade because she didn't know how to participate in an interesting conversation. But she was the only person I had met that wasn't completely stupid, and for that, my only chance at a friend.

···

Someone knocked at the door.

"Wake up!" a voice yelled. "You don't want to be late for the first meeting with the Leaders!"

"Oh my god!" Madison said. "That was so rude! They want me to wake up at 8:00? Well I'm not going to."

"Of course you're going to, 367b, get up right now! Don't make me come in..." the voice said.

I got up and tried to get Madison up, but she wouldn't move.

"Move your sissy butt!" I whispered to her ear.

"I am not going to get up!" she yelled.

"That's it!" the voice said, and a 15 year old boy came into our room. "367b, get up or I'll get you up." He stared at me. "Very good, 367a. At least one of you was trained properly. I'm Daniel."

"Chrix" I smiled, and shook his hand.

"Ugh." Madison said. "You guys go, I'm going to stay here no matter what you say."

Daniel grabbed Madison's blanket and pulled. Since she was on the top bunk bed, she fell to the ground with a scream.

"That'll show ya." Daniel said with a smile.

"I am so going to kill you!" Madison said. "Ow, my head hurts... I'm going to tell the Leaders!"

"Come on, you don't even know them." Daniel said.

"Don't I?" Madison said with a smirk. "Auntie Lucy!!!!!" she screamed.

Oh this looks bad.

Hiiii! Serenity here. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I changed the story title and cover. I hope you like both of them. If you comment, thank you so much because it seriously makes my day guys.

Now byeeeee! Hugsies for all :)