Chapter 16

You're alone.

What will you do? You've always had someone to take care of you. No matter how independent you feel, you are not. What does it feel like, not knowing yourself?

I shake my head. There is this weird voice talking to me, and I know it's not real. I must be going crazy.

You are going crazy. I'm not real, Chrix. Since you don't have anyone with you, you made up a voice to give you some company. You can't control me though. I will be here until you don't need me anymore.

So I'll probably be here with you until you die from starvation in a couple days.

"I am not going to die." This is some kind of wicked dream, of which I will wake up any minute now."

If someone could see me, talking to myself in the middle of the desert, they'd think I've lost it.

I've already told you. You've lost it.

And you are not going to wake up, because this is not a dream. It's your life. I'm pretty sure we are going to die very soon. You're alone, Chrix. Nothing to eat, nothing to drink. Maybe you're already dead. Maybe, this is what awaits to the dead. A lonely life in the middle of nowhere.

"Oh shut up!" I say, though I am starting to believe it. I am scared. Maybe it's right. Maybe I do need someone next to me all the time. Maybe Chrix, 367 was not meant to be alone.

You're talking about yourself in the third person. I told you you were crazy.

 Yeah, maybe the voice is right.

"Okay, voice. If you're so smart, answer my questions. Why am I here? What happened?" I say out loud.

Can't tell you.

"And why is that?" I ask, annoyed. 

Because, as I said, I am in your head. I know as much as you do. 

"Oh, okay." I say. "Then why do you know that this is not a dream?"

At last, an easy question. I know this is not a dream because I am here.

"I don't understand a word you say. You're either too smart or I am too dumb."

I think it's the latter.

"Shut up already!" I say. 

See? You're arguing with yourself, I told you you were completely crazy. Must be the heat. Yup, you're going to die.

I rub my eyes, trying to focus. If I want to stay alive, I have to think of a way of getting everything I need to live. 

Water is the first thing you'll need.

"Yeah, I know that." I say.

I look around me. No water in sight. Well, nothing is in sight. Except the sand. And the sky. That's it. What am I going to do?

The heat doesn't bother me too much, so I decide to explore a bit. Maybe I'll find something.

No you won't. You won't even make it to that small hill without passing out.

"Oh come on! It's right over there, I'll totally make it."

Do what you want. I know you won't make it. 

I get up. Dizziness spreads through me. It's a weird feeling. I start walking toward the little hill, but slowly, my vision blurs and I feel like I can't walk anymore.