~Chapter One~

All I wanted to do was sleep. But alas, the world was against me and something was urging me forward. Something kept telling me I just had to wake up.

Slowly, I opened my eyes and blinked. Then I immediately  groaned.

Why does my head hurt. . . ? 

My head felt like it had been replaced with lead. I tried to sit up and immediately lay myself back down again because it felt like the world was spinning out of control. It was obvious I wouldn’t be going anywhere. So I just lay there with my head back and my eyes closed as I focused on my breathing. Trying to get the world to slow down even the slightest bit. 

Taking a few deep breaths, and slowly opening my eyes again, I choked as I finally became aware of my surroundings. 

This. . . wasn’t my room.

My room was painted a dark mahogany, while the walls that stared back at me then were a stark gray.

What the heck?

And then things slowly started coming back to me. The fight, storming out, and then. . . nothing.

I heard muffling sounds from the room next door. 

I turned my head a little and stared really hard at the wall locked in a daze. Because clearly I would be able see through wall and decipher what they were saying. Whoever “they” were.

“You do realize if you screwed this up that Mom will kill you right?!” I heard a guy ask.

“It’s her," another voice said. “I’m positive.”

This guy’s voice was deep and rich. The sound of his voice alone made me shiver a little in pleasure, as mortifyingly embarrassing as it is for me to admit.

“How can you be so sure?” The other exclaimed.

One of them chuckled. 

“You’ll understand one day when you’re older.” He said.

There was some shuffling and then I heard, “Get offa me you lug!”

“Love you too.” The other said, and somehow I just knew this guy was smirking. “Now, should we go check to see if the ‘princess’ has awoken?”

I started to panic when I heard their footsteps approaching.

What do I do? 

And then I chose the obvious solution: I feigned sleep. 

Now, it’s not easy as it sounds. You have to keep your body still and relaxed while keeping your breathing steady. Not to mention trying to make sure your eyes don’t flutter with every little passing sound.

The door creaks open and I knew they were in the room. One of them continued to walk towards me. 

I prayed to anyone who was out there looking out for me. God? Guardian angel? Even an alley cat just passing through! Anyone! Anyone who was out there that would make sure my body was as still as I prayed it to be. That they couldn’t hear my heart beating frantically to infinity and beyond.

He paused at the bed side and leaned down, kneeling besides me. I could feel his warm breath on me.

Princess,” he said near my ear and my breathing hitched, “we know you’re awake.”

Dammit.

Opening one eye and then the other, I prepare to meet him head on with the most hate-filled glare I could muster, only to have my breath completely stolen away.