~Chapter Thirty~

A few minutes later, after the shock has passed and everything has finally sunken in, I inwardly start to laugh. And then it becomes audible. And then I just can’t stop.

Jonah has just fallen in love with a fish. Oh, the irony is uncanny!

Why? 

Because! He. Can’t. Swim!

“Oh, this is good!” I say as I bend down to clutch my stomach while I laugh.

This seems to knock Jonah out of his trance as he turns to glare at me. I place my hands over my mouth in a sad attempt to hide the last of my laughter. Looks like I ruined the moment... whoops!

“Sorry,” I say as my laughter finally begins to slow. 

He rolls his eyes at me and snorts, turning his attention back to Layla. They just stare at each other, unmoving. Layla awkwardly plays with her hair, looking down. Occasionally she peers up at him, from the corner of her eyes. Meanwhile, Jonah just stares at her like she’s the most precious thing on earth.

“What’s you name?” He suddenly blurts out.

“L-Layla,” she says in soft voice. After a moment of hesitation, she adds, “Um, please don’t tell anyone.”

“Tell anyone what?” Jonah asks confused.

She awkwardly lifts her tail again, and Jonah’s eyes nearly bug out. He takes a step back and falls on his butt, staring at her in shock.

“Mer... mermaid,” he says, pointing at her as her tail falls with a splash, and she flushes. 

“Don’t be rude,” I tell him as I take that moment to slap him across the head. 

I’m not!” he exclaims as he approaches her again.

“My name’s Jonah,” he says, pointing to himself. “Watch this!”

He isn’t. Oh, please tell me he isn’t.

“Jonah,” I cry, reaching out, “wait!”

Of course he doesn’t listen, and as the sounds of bones snapping and cracking, suddenly a huge black wolf is standing before us.

Layla’s frozen, as she bobs in the water with a terrified look on her face.

I just face-palm myself as I mutter, “Idiot.

Layla’s now gaping like a fish out of water, as she continues to stare up at him with wide eyes. Jonah lays down on his forepaws and whines, cocking his head slightly to the side. 

“Layla,” I say, stepping forward, and resist the urge to slap Jonah as he growls at my approach. “Don’t freak out.”

“He...” she gasps, “wolf-- w-werewolf...” 

“I know, I know,” I say, with my hands up, as I cautiously approach. “It’s a long story, but see, um, well...”

God, how does one even begin to describe this situation? I think to myself. I mean, Rory had been one thing because she’s... well, Rory. But Layla is guarded and secretive, and now I can understand why.

Layla’s cautiously looking up to me to continue, sending quick glances Jonah’s way.

Well, when in doubt, I decide as I release a sigh, channel your inner Caleb. 

“See, you two are kinda soulmates.” I finally say.

There’s a pause, and then slowly her lips part into a silent, ‘Oh.’