~Prologue~

My story starts on the day the world ended. Well, my world at least...

My parents had just casually announced over dinner one evening, “Hey, guess what, we’re moving.” The “we” in that sentence being ‘them,’ while I was the kid stuck along for the ride.

My fork was left hovering as the shock settled, and their words slowly started to sink in. Meanwhile my parents just returned to their chatter. Their little announcement having been said in the same manner as if they had been discussing the weather or something. 

To them, it might as well have been. 

And that is how I found the entire contents of our house packed, and stashed in various cardboard boxes. My belongings, my memories, and my fate, sealed by slabs of packing tape. And then a few weeks later, we were all shipped by U-Haul, half-way across the country, to a small town that is practically off grid, called West Ridge. 

Just in time for school too start. 

My new school was West Ridge High, original, I know, and my new mascot was either the West Ridge Wolverines or the West Ridge Wolves. And in this strange place that I was now forced to call home, I’d have only one friend, and a dark haired “witch,” for lack of better terms, who for whatever reason had decided she wanted to make my life a living hell!

Now for where the whole predicament started. The part where everything changed. 

It was a Friday. 

I had already been drowning in a puddle of my own self-pity ever since I was forced to go from city girl to trapped-in-the-middle-of-nowhere girl. I still wasn’t over having to say goodbye to my friends who said they’d call but never did, nor saying goodbye to life as I had known it.

I can’t even remember what it had been about. All I know is for the second time, I found myself at dinner, and things were said. For the first time in forever, since my parents broke the news of the big move, they had something to say, something trivial, and the blame was put on me. 

They were wrong. I was wrong. It felt wrong in this town. It felt wrong being uprooted from the one place I had always called home, and dragged teeth and nails to a place I never knew existed. I had been wronged.

Now, me being the complete idiot I am, I chose to rebel, as I pushed my chair away, and hastily made my way upstairs. Cloaked in my running wear, with my laces tied tight, I was the one that chose to storm out the door in the dead of night. And I am the one who chose to run along the empty streets alone. Well granted, it was a park, but still, this was my life! 

The sun was still out, setting, but still present. 

It wasn’t supposed to be like in the movies!

Even so, oblivious to my surroundings with my earphones in and completely blocking out the rest of the world, I ran. My legs were tired and my muscles were screaming at me, but I just pushed on, content with being lost to the world, even for just a little while.

And then, I was in the state of being just plain, completely, hopelessly, literally and figuratively, lost.

Night had finally hit, and darkness surrounded me as I stopped to catch my breath. I slowed to a steady walk, and let myself wander around the park. I was just minding my own business and desperately trying to blow off my last bit of steam as I wondered if I was really even ready to try and find my way ‘home’ again.

Needless to say, when I felt a blunt pain in the back of my head and the world started to get hazy, I can honestly say that was the last thing I expected.

Oh. Shit. I thought.

And then I blacked out. 

* A u t h o r ‘ s   N o t e *

Update: This chapter is one of the only chapters in my story thus far that has been re-written. I apologize if a few things don't make sense later on. 10/15/14

Be warned in advance, the relationships that wil be established in my story are going to take time, and even once a relationship is established, they will still fight... Over stupid things that can easily be fixed, and things on a more serious note. Because  love is not just happily ever after. No relationship is perfect, and there will always be ups and downs. So if you're looking for insta-love at first sight, and a loophole to the happily ever after with the big white wedding, where everything just magically falls into place, then this is probably not the story for you. 

If you liked what you read so far then please add, comment and maybe even vote! I’d love to hear your opinions! Thanks for reading!

Playlist: Wonderland by Natalia Kills

“I’m not Red Riding Hood, but I think the wolves have got me~”