~Chapter Thirty-Two~

It's been about a week since Layla moved in, and she's adjusting nicely. I love how the pack was a ruckus when I showed up, but after Rory's arrival, everyone just looks at Layla like, "Oh, mermaid? That's cool."

Her banishment aside, Layla and Jonah are getting along well. She's still very shy, and Jonah is... Jonah. However, in comparison to Rory and me, it's pretty much been smooth sailing since.

I'm watching as Layla asks Jonah something, and for the first time, I'm noticing that she's actually a few inches taller than him. With her newfound confidence, she stands much straighter now, instead of her usual sheltered posture.

Now that her secrets out, she's been less tense around James, and they actually make decent conversation during lunch these days. Meanwhile Finn always watches from a distance. I don't think he's approached her since her banishment. I can see the unease in her eyes every time she catches his gaze.

And with that, we come to the present. I'm lounging in the living room, surfing channels while Layla reads a book across from me. I look up when I hear a noise and see Rory stomping by with a death grip on Ryan's shirt.

"Where are you two going?" I call out to them, and at that, Rory backpedals and peers in.

"We are going to the optical store because it has been weeks since I opened this guy's eyes, and he's still wandering around blind."

Ryan grumbles at that.

"Oh." I nod. "Um, good luck with that."

Rory flashes a peace sign and a few seconds later, the front door is slammed shut. I wait a few seconds before I turn to Layla. "Are you up for a little adventure?"

Her eyes widen, but she wearily nods, and follows as I swipe Caleb's keys.

...oOo...

We stealthily make our way into the optical store. Of course, it took three stores until we found the one they were at. By the time we saw them through the window, we snuck in and took cover in a corner behind a rather large ficus.

They disappear for a while, and when they come back, a man is talking to them and leaves them at wall stocked full of different styles of glasses. He doesn't have much of a say as she holds up various pairs, and shakes her head no. He just stands there and watches on, unamused.

"Well?" She says, when she finally finds a pair she's satisfied with. Gesturing with a hand to the mirror.

He looks, and just shrugs, which she growls at that.

"You're hopeless." She grumbles as she reaches for the next pair.

I watch as he rolls his eyes, before something seems to catch his attention. Suddenly I see him tap her on the shoulder, and point in our general direction. As she turns, I grab Layla, and we duck down. When I peak out again, they're looking away, and I sigh in relief.

Rory grabs another pair of frames, and holding them up, she nods to herself before handing them to him. With a snort, he puts them on, and looks down with a brow raised. His expression asking a silent, "Well?"

With a hand on her chin, she looks him over, as she circles him and lets out a long, "Hmm..." And then, without looking, she asks, "I don't know, what do you think Jenna? Layla?"

Dammit. I think, and still I try to lean further and further behind the big plant.

"Jenna, I see you and Layla behind the ficus."

At that, everyone's eyes turn to us, and we flush under there stares. We quickly make our way around the plant, and run to their side.

At that, Layla and I simultaneously tilt our heads as we look at the Rory approved frames.