~Chapter Twenty-Two~

Things have gone back to normal since Justin's ambush, and I've made an impressive recovery.

Caleb's taking me on a date this evening to celebrate our one month anniversary, and for once things are going smoothly.

"Jenny?" Caleb asks me, and I snap out of my trance to see him looking at me, concerned.

That's right. Justin's gone. I'm okay. I'm safe. I think to myself as I feel my shoulders beginning to relax and I give him a weak smile.

"Jenny," Caleb says, and places a hand over mine. He's looking at me oddly. Nervous, dare I say?

"Yes?" I ask.

He fidgets for a few more seconds before he suddenly blurts out, "I love you!" and leaves me stunned.

How are you supposed respond to that? Could be simple, but this is me we're talking about. By now my hair is curtaining my face, and I'm trying to gather my wits and recover my voice.

Finally, I count to three, catch my breath, and when I look up again, I scream.

"Told you you'd never be safe, girly." Justin cackles at me.

He moves to the side and I see Caleb bleeding on the floor with a gaping hole in his chest, right where his heart should be. His eyes are wide open in shock, and his mouth parted in a silent scream that echoes loud in my ears.

I turn again and fall, scrambling backwards as I'm greeted with a pile of everyone I've ever loved. All dead in one big, morbid heap. All of them the same; forever locked in a shocked stare with their mouths wide from a scream that never quite made it out.

Rory, James, Clara, my Dad! And the list just goes on.

A heavy hand grips my shoulder, and claws begin to dig in. I cry out in pain, and that's when  I'm whipped around to face Justin. What I see turns my blood to ice and all I can do is stare. I'm frozen. I can't even scream.

Justin is caught in between a stage where he's not all man nor all beast. And through it all, he still wears that same, wicked expression and his eyes are filled with sadism and malice.

And with that chilling smirk, and his eyes turning to a demonic shade of yellow that pierces into the very depth of my soul, he whispers in the darkest voice, "Die."

At that, my body erupts into a pain I can't even begin to describe. No sound comes as a scream starts to bubble but gets trapped in the back of my throat. And as I squeeze my eyes shut, suddenly I can't stop screaming until my voice finally gives out.

The next time I open my eyes, I'm greeted with a never ending darkness.

Is this death? I dare to ask myself.

My heart has turned to lead in my chest, and holds me down like an anchor. I can't move. I don't dare move, as I wait for something to happen. Shivering from the sweat that coats my body in a way that keeps the warmth out, and the cold locked in.

Suddenly there's a hand on my shoulder, and in an instant, I'm screaming again. Thrashing and flailing, as I try my best to punch the dark in the face. I manage to get a hit in, but it does nothing, as my arms are quickly pinned besides me, and a figure hovers over me.

Tired, defeated, I resort to crying, hoping whoever, or whatever this is will take pity on me and just make it quick.

The blood pounding in my ears starts to ease and that's when I can hear, "Jenny! Jenny, calm down! It's me!"

"Caleb?" I sob. Hearing his voice, I still, and can feel myself go completely limp. Except for the occasional hiccup that sends a shudder through my body. Slowly, my eyes adjust to the darkness and I see him looking down at me worriedly.