~Chapter Ten~

My Mother clears her throat and I place my fork down in formality. You know, just another nice, friendly, family dinner.

Not.

“By the way, Jenna,” She says. “Your Father and I will be away on business for the next few weeks.”

“Where to?” I ask halfheartedly, not really caring.

“DC.”

“Oh,” I say and go back to my dinner. “Cool.”

My Dad is a former marine corp. Because of this, I’ve been raised from birth to basically to never fear anything and always go down with a fight. It’s not like I had a mother to teach me otherwise.

Anyway, he met my stepmom one day while he was away on base. He came back home and instead of a souvenir, I got a stepmom.

“No parties while we’re gone.” She tells me.

“With what friends?” I ask bitterly. “I had to abandon them all when you made me pack up and shipped us half way across the country!”

“I don’t like that tone, Jennifer.” She tells me in that patronizing voice. Something which I can’t stand!

Seriously. If you’re upset, yell, scream-- something! Anything but that calm, collected tone!

And I hate how she’s always calling me Jennifer. My name is Jenna. Always has been, always will be.

“I’m done.” I say pulling my chair out and gathering my plate. “Excuse me.”

“Unload the dishwasher, please.” My Dad calls after me.

I shrug and do as I’m told.

I collapse, face first onto my bed about ten minutes later.

Suddenly there’s a knock at my door and I mumble, “Come in,” through my pillows.

“Jenna,” my Dad asks, coming in. I feel the bed cave a bit as he takes a seat on the end.

“Yeah, Dad?” I ask.

“Are you going to be okay on your own for a few weeks?” He asks me.

“I always am.” I tell him.

“Well, Ms. Burske’s right next door if you need anything.” He tells me before kissing me goodnight. “I’ll leave money on the kitchen table.”

“‘Kay,” I say. “ Night, Daddy. I love you.”

“Love you too.” He tells me.

And then my door closes with a ‘click’ and I fall back onto my bed again and let out a loud, long yawn.

Calmness and warmth overwhelms me suddenly, as mind becomes all fuzzy as sleep hits me before I can even see it coming. 

I start falling softly into slumber. Or maybe a nightmare, because right before I’m out, I swear I hear a wolf howling somewhere in the night.

Great. I’ve been so caught up in this warped fantasy, he even haunts me in my dreams. 

Werewolves, soulmates, Rory, oh my! What, am I going to do. . .

And with that, I slip into a deep sleep. 

...oOo...

My parents were gone before I even woke up. Nothing new here. The only indication that they had even left for their trip was the pile of cash stocked on the kitchen table for food.