Chapter 9 ~ Persuasion

Granaidh - Grandmother
Pronounced like Granny.

Chapter 9: Persuasion
-

Gordon was grinning as he added his phone number to my contact list, and I shook my head at him. He’d make a good alpha when the time came, he already had that air of 'I always get what I want.’ Even if I’d tried more than once to nip that in the bud.

“This doesn’t mean anything. We’re just friends,” I reiterated for the third time. “Allies even. I don’t want any dick pics.”

He scoffed and rolled his eyes but I couldn’t help but laugh at the disgust in his eyes. At least I was sure I wouldn’t get any R-rated pictures sent my way. Gods knew I’d had enough of that from males in high school.

“Of course. I’m just pleased you want to stay in touch.” He jangled his car keys in his hand then smiled. “I better go before my grandfather comes to drag me away. I hope to see you at the next meeting. Good luck, Raeghan. If you need anything, you let me know.”

“Thank you,” I replied, hoping he could hear the sincerity.

Begrudgingly, I allowed him to hug me, his cheek warm against mine. Looking too smug for the little that happened between us, he jogged over to his car. The meeting hadn’t been entirely pointless, I’d at least made a friend. Though I feared I’d made some enemies, especially in his grandfather who hadn’t come to say goodbye as the others had. A snub, but directed solely at me.

One day, he’d regret it.

Turning around, I watched as Everett and Eagan chucked our suitcases into the boot while Mum spoke to Alpha Joshua by the door of the hotel. Sunday morning was meant to signal the end of council but it seemed there was never an end to things that needed to be discussed. I should have felt better about surviving my first meeting but the entire thing had left me with a sour taste in my mouth and a heavy weight crushing my shoulders.

"Cheer up, Raerae," Uncle Everett teased, flicking my cheek.

I swatted at his hand and gave him a glare. "This was pointless. Whatever Mum thought I'd achieve by coming, I didn't do it."

"That's not true. You showed them all that you'll fight for what you want, you gained an ally in a future Alpha. That's an accomplishment."

But it didn't feel like it was a big enough one. And I was sure Gordon had only agreed to back me because he was still hoping I'd change my mind about taking him as a mate.

"Next time you shouldn't ask," Eagan grunted, folding his arms, continuing when I gave him a questioning look. "These councils are a formality, pup. It's. . .too human, though I understand our need for it. You're a wolf. Wolves don't use words to get what they want."

I snorted at him. "You're saying I should challenge them."

"Of course."

Everett was looking at his third with slight disapproval but didn’t argue against it. Was he right? We were wolves, after all. Alphas rose and fell from challenges that were ingrained in our culture back in the old days, but challenges were becoming less and less common. Maybe he was right, maybe we were trying to be too human.

So why shouldn't I challenge them? Though a small part of me, a growing part, believed it all to be futile. I couldn't fight every Alpha that disagreed, I was still training. Learning. A life spent defending my position didn’t sound fulfilling.
Is that what it was going to take? Another year and more of this being stuck?