Chapter 27 ~ On Edge

Chapter 27: On Edge
~

Glowing in pink and red, the morning sun lit our way towards the outer pack border. While the inner border which was closer to home and the heart of the pack was patrolled multiple times a day, the outer border took days itself to go round. And that was how I knew something was definitely terribly wrong. Too many scents all mingled in the air here. Some I recognised from multiple members of my pack further off, Ruiraidh had not long passed. But the ones close, lingering around the edges, weren't from pack.

It made me fear the worst. If wolves from other packs were circling so close, they smelt weakness. A chance to take steal territory. A growl tore from my chest as I sniffed at where one wolf had dared to leave his marks, a clear taunt towards the pack.

Look at how close we got.

Bumping into my side, Ebbe chuffed his encouragement. We didn't have for to go, but I was scared of what we'd find when we got there.
Now was not the time to be a coward, but I couldn't move on just yet. Raking up dirt with my back claws, I covered the scent of piss and swore I'd find whoever had done it, no matter what pack they were from. Nobody would get away with such disrespect, and whoever their Alpha was would be sure to meet my wrath too.

Ebbe watched me with careful eyes as I continued to sound my fury. His ears flicked towards every other little sound too as he shifted on his paws, tail swishing. He could sense something wrong in the air too. It was at least a comfort no would-be trespasser appeared to get closer to the border than this, that meant our scouts and warriors were doing their job at keeping the pack safe. Order was being maintained, hopefully by my parents.

Shaking off the sense of restlessness that overcame me, I refocused on our run. Home or not, danger could be lurking and I couldn't let anger blind me to our surroundings. Ebbe kept a look out too, running slightly behind me to watch my back. It wasn't long before we came to the river that marked the north eastern part of the inner pack border.

A small amount of relief made my movements easier and we both sped up to cross onto safe land. Skidding to a stop, I lifted my head to howl and announce my presence to the pack, but no sooner had I taken in a breath, did an almighty growl sound to our right. Ebbe spun around, hiding the new arrival from my view. Hackles raised and ears pinned back, Ebbe answered the challenge with a warning growl of his own.

Two grey wolves, one with darker patches of black, I knew who these too were. Flidais and Glenn, two of our best scouts, and it didn't bode good news if they were out together. . .

No sooner had I taken that in did the tension between Flidais and Ebbe snap. They pounced at each other before I could catch her attention, and recognition dawned in Glenn's eyes as I jumped in two break them up. I'd never seen Flidais act like this, without warning or thought, which meant everyone was on the defensive.

Glenn barked and tried to nip at Brighid tail to get her to stop but her and Ebbe were locked in what looked like a death match. The moment her jaws snapped near Ebbe's neck, I snapped. Pouncing forward, my fangs clamped down on her shoulder, digging in deep enough that blood filled my mouth. Dropping my body, I rolled and managed to yank Flidais away from him. Using that momentum, I scrambled back on top, striking again at the same spot on her shoulder.

Claws raked at my side as she tried to get free but when she took a proper inhale, all fight suddenly ceased. She shifted to skin beneath me, panting hard.