Chapter 29 ~ Gaolor

We're heading towards the last handful of chapters... Let me know what you think so far!

What do you make of the mystery male? Do you trust him?

Don't forget I have a Facebook group where I share exclusive content (bonus chapters, epilogues, a chance to speak and ask questions directly to/about characters)

Chapter 29: Gaolor
~

My head was spinning as I made my way downstairs, one hand on the banister to keep myself steady. The paintings on the wall blurred in and out of focus but I managed to keep my legs moving and hold of the waves of emotions battering my senses.

While I felt some measure of relief after speaking with my Alpha, my stomach still fluttered with butterflies, and the ache after running non-stop for the last week was beginning to be felt now adrenaline was wearing off. I was exhausted, but there was still so much to be done. Including coming to terms with the fact that I'd all but challenged my dad while he lay in his sick bed. And there hadn't been any disappointment from him. In fact, he'd looked almost pleased.

I sighed as I reached the bottom step, rubbing my face to try and waken up but I ended up yawning so hard, my jaw clicked. Even my thoughts were muddled with the need to sleep.

Tomorrow. I'd begin working tomorrow. This just wouldn't do.

I'd get myself some food, check on Mum, and then crash in bed. Hopefully I wouldn't have to track Ebbe down, I didn't think I'd be able to rest until I knew he was back and that we were okay.

The high-pitched jingle of childish laughter echoed from the kitchen and I couldn't hep but grin, the sound alone filling me with energy. I knew whose laughter that was, and I'd missed my little monsters far too much. Forgetting about the worries of the pack, I all but ran down the hall and slid into the kitchen. The pups' favourite place to cause mischief.

Maebh, Basjan, Jamie and Ellie must have formed a strong bond while I was away. The four of them were darting in delight around the kitchen island with cookies in hand, leaving a trail of crumbs in their wake.

I eyed the makeshift ladder they'd created from a folding chair and a thick book before clearing my throat. They all stopped short, heads whipping round in my direction. For a moment, they looked as though they were trying to decide whether to run in an attempt to get away with their antics, or admit defeat and apologise.

Before I could react, they made their decision and I was suddenly being stampeded. Even Basjan came running over to grab at my leg while little voices all shouted greetings and declarations of how much they'd missed me over the top of one another. All my troubles slowly faded as I crouched to wrap them all up in my arms, squeezing them tight. They all nuzzled in, taking deep pulls of my scent as their cheeks rubbed against my skin.

"Don't think you can get out of trouble by being so sweet. You know better than to run around the kitchen, and what if that chair had fallen over?" I scolded, making a snatch for the cookie Jamie held but he quickly whipped it out of the way.

"We were very careful. If you want your own you have to ask," he sniffed, unfazed by being put back in his place. At least his sister stood pouting at the ground with rosy cheeks, but she'd always been the more sensible of the pair.

I smirked, slowly rising with a soft growl while Jamie proved he was definitely Quillan's son as he bared little fangs at me.