35 - Admission

Ziggy was getting desperate. Claire were not returning his calls or texts and Maddy said she's not with her because she's busy at the gallery. Ziggy debated for a moment before dialing Susana's number.

"Hello? Who is this?" Susana answered.

"Hello, Tita" This is Ziggy" he said. "I just want to ask how Claire is doing."

"We just got home actually. I fetched her from the hospital. Keifer was transferred to San Francisco earlier" she informed him.

"Can I talk to her?" he asked.

Susana sighed. "Ziggy, I know you only mean well but I don't think it will be a good idea. Claire got so much on her plate right now."

"I just want to know if she's okay" he said.

"Honestly, she's so drained. It was a good thing I fetched her earlier. I nearly pulled the hair of that woman Keifer calls his mom" she scoffed. "The thing she said to Claire!"

Ziggy swallowed hard. He suddenly wanted to confront Keifer's mom. He restrained himself.

"So please, Ziggy don't get in the mix" Susana pleaded. "I know how you feel about Claire. We are not blind, we can see it."

"What do you mean?" he played dumb.

"We know you still love her and we know you want her back" she told him. "I don't know if you know this but Claire was planning on breaking up with Keifer – she never loved him – but the timing was always off and now this happened. She doesn't need another thing to stress about."

"I understand" Ziggy said.

"I know you just want the best for her, we all do" Susana said. "Just give her time and space for now."

"Alright, Tita" Ziggy relented. "Thank you."

"Claire will be fine. We got her" Susana promised before hanging up.

Ziggy knows he just promised Claire's mom he would let her be but he doesn't know if he can help it. His gut is telling him he should tell her. While he was weighing his pros and cons, his phone rang.

"Bro, I heard Maddy and Claire talking on the phone just now" Blaster said in a hushed tone. "Claire is thinking of going to San Fo."

"What?" Ziggy asked pinching the bridge of his nose. "Why?"

"I'm pretty sure because of Keifer" Blaster told him. "I heard something about guilt."

"Fuck!" he replied. "I'll talk to you later."

"Sure" Blaster hanged up.

He quickly sent Claire a text.

"Claire, please. Can we talk?"

"Please. I really need to talk to you."

After a minute, she replied.

"Okay."

-----

Claire's phone rang. She breathed deeply and answered it.

"Hello?" she said.

"Claire" Ziggy's voice was full of relief.

"What do you want?" she asked flatly.

"I just want to say something to you" Ziggy told her. "It's very important to let you know."

Claire sighed. She knows what he will say. She's not dumb or numb. The gifts? The stolen gazes and his smile? She knew and she hoped he would be patient but clearly, he can't be.