8 - Friendship

Claire was doing some study for Ziggy's album art while gently bopping her head to his music when her phone chimed.

"Hello, Claire! Did you receive the copy of my album? It's not finished yet. The songs need to be polished still but I thought hearing it will help with the album art" she read Ziggy's message.

"Oh yeah, I got it. I'm actually listening to it now while doing some studies" she typed back. "It's actually pretty good, Ziggy."

"Thank you, that means a lot" Claire imagines Ziggy smiling.

"You wrote all of these?" she inquired.

"Yes. Some songs, I got Blaster, my friend and main producer, add some stuff" Ziggy replied.

"Wow, you're really talented. Why didn't you win the competition?" Claire asked him. She thought that was a bit off so she continued, "Sorry, I don't think that is appropriate."

"It's okay hahahaha" Ziggy replied. "It's more of a popularity contest, really and Leslie is more popular. More likable. It's fine though. Winning second place, I didn't win the recording contract which means I can sign wherever I want. If I won, I would've signed with a label that will make me sing songs that they think people will like."

Claire is really liking this guy. He has a real passion to music just like her in her paintings. She promised herself she will give Ziggy the best album art for his debut album.

"Don't get me wrong, I am grateful they gave me a chance. Believe me, I have been waiting for this for years. I'm lucky I got the break I was hoping for and create music that I really want to put out there at the same time" Ziggy continued.

"I get it" Claire replied. "That sounds really nice."

"I guess it's the same as being a painter that paints whoever or whatever they want" Ziggy supplemented.

"Yup, exactly" Claire smiled. He really gets it.

"I'm sorry, sometimes I talk too much" Ziggy apologized. "I shouldn't be bothering you."

"It's okay" Claire assured him. "I like it that you're very hands-on. It's your commission after all."

"Yeah, Sorry if I come off as annoying" Ziggy said. "I'm just really excited, I guess."

"No you're not" Claire guaranteed him. "I prefer this. We can exchange ideas about it."

"Okay, if that's what you say" Ziggy replied. "I'll leave you to it for now. Have a nice day, Claire."

"You too" Claire replied, smiling.

She put her phone down and continued to paint. After the album finished playing, she envisioned two Ziggys. The one who struggled to make it and the one who is now making his own music and an audience waiting for it. She imagined his present self, reaching to his old self with a light and telling him not to give up because one day, he'll make it. She started sketching and again, lost track of time.

-----

Ziggy paced in his own condo back and forth. He's trying to figure out what is missing in "Fall Back" a song he was hoping to be his first single out of his debut album. He plopped down the sofa, sighing. He opened his phone. He can't ask Blaster to hang out. He's on an out of town trip with his family. He doesn't wanna bother his parent either. He knows they are busy with the business.

A name seems to be screaming from his short list of contacts. He dialed it.

"Hello?" Claire answered on the third ring.